• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
12-31-2006, 06:05 AM,
Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
Playing my first campaign as the Russians. I have noticed that elements of the 4th Russian mech corps are fixed (including the HQ) with seemingly no release possible. This puts a big kink on my southern flank attack. I see that eventually all Don front units will be released but see nothing about the Stalingrad front units.

Did I miss something? Is this a glitch or were there historical reasons for nailing the bulk of this corps in place. I know there were supply problems on the southern flank.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2006, 06:07 AM,
RE: Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
Recruit! I have been away from this board for a while.:conf:
12-31-2006, 08:44 AM,
Hi

As far as I can tell, it is released on the 20th Nov at 10.00am with 100% probabilty.

In addition the 51st Army is released at 06.00 on the 21st Nov, also with 100% probability

Cheers

Chris
01-10-2007, 04:25 PM,
Sorry for the late response but was away for the holiday.. I am on November 22 00:00 turn and the bulk of the 4th mechanized corps is fixed in position. I don't believe the game has been patched since we started about 10-12 weeks ago. I see no mention of the fourth mech or any parent unit getting released down the line in my unit dialoge menu.

I could email the current turn if anyone cares to look at it Hard to imagine that this has not shown up before. It is a powerful unit and the loss of it will hamper the Russian war effort.
01-10-2007, 04:37 PM,
Ok, here is what I got from the Release dialog

Nov 20, 10:00 100% Releases 4th mechanized corps
Nov 20, 20:00 50% Fixes 4th mechanized corps
Nov 20, 21:00 100% Fixes 4th mechanized corps
Nov 21, 04:00 100% Released 4th mechanized corps

Yet now it is Nov 22 and most of my 4th mechanized corps is firmly fixed. Only those unit that were at the time adjacient to enemy units are free to move-about %20 of the force.
01-10-2007, 11:49 PM,
I took a look in detail at the campaigns and suspect I know the problem that caused this, and will let Glenn know the details. For your game, I see two choices. If you are not playing an encrypted PBEM game, I might be able to unfix them for you if you send me your saved game. Go ahead and email me with it if so - rbancroft (AT) att.net.

If encrypted, your only choice is to use reattach it during the attachment phase coming up to one of the formations with an upcoming release on the 23rd - I believe there are a few of them that the 4th Mech is eligible to attach to, even though they might be up on the northern face of things.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-11-2007, 02:05 AM,
The game is encrypted. Since we are on the 00:00 turn of the 22nd, I will try the reattaching method. I will report back the results but it might be a few weeks until we get to the proper turn.

Thanks for the help.
01-12-2007, 02:33 AM,
Ok, 4th mech is attached to 66th army which should be released on the 23rd. I will cross my fingers.

Thanks
01-13-2007, 12:53 AM,
Now that's going to be an interesting result. !!
I'll be checking back to see if it gets released with its new parent Army.

If this is a method to get units that are fixed, would that be OK to use in a pbem game? I may experiment with this over the weekend.

I've had units in Kursk (north battle) sit in Fix mode during the entire battle. Its been a couple of years since I played those but I'm sure in other games I've played more recent, units seemed to be fixed longer than I thought was practical (historical accuracy or not - as a general I should have a method to release a division or two on my own - give or take the good or bad result it produces).

regards
01-13-2007, 01:23 AM,
This was specifically a fix for a scenario problem, where there was no release for fixed units that should have released. If that is the case in any game you are playing, then I think it is legit. On the other hand, just doing it to get units released that are designed to either release later on or not at all, as has happened with units in France '40, then I would call that gamey/unfair, unless your opponent approves it.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]