• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
04-02-2008, 09:04 AM,
RE: Here is a Stalingrad 42 question
All one need do is give the Axis the QFM optional rule and the game becomes quite winable for them. Most Russian units are C or D quality. Most Germans A or B. Early storms can also give great assistance to Germany. Also the Lufwaffe is far superior to the VVS.
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2008, 01:16 PM,
Krak Wrote:All one need do is give the Axis the QFM optional rule and the game becomes quite winable for them. Most Russian units are C or D quality. Most Germans A or B. Early storms can also give great assistance to Germany. Also the Lufwaffe is far superior to the VVS.

May be true, but QFM didn't come out until after S42. Thus the scns are designed and tested solely for use with default rules. The optional rules are just that. If an optional rule is necessary for one side to have a chance then..........Eek
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM,
Thats true Rev. But I still think an Axis win is possible without QFM. Just that much harder. There are so many factors that can influence the final result.

If the Axis gain a big victory somewhere with the Panzers then the game can end early with an Axis win. If the Soviets survive the initial Axis onslaught with the Panzers then they probably should win. Unless they have been crippled by the Panzers.

I don't think there is a perfect plan for this one. Every strategy has a counter. Thats why its such a good campaign.

Also I don't think there is another large PZC campaign scenario where player skill is so tested as in this one. You really have to be on the ball tactically, operationally and strategically to get away with this battle.

cheers
04-03-2008, 04:37 AM,
Krak Wrote:Thats true Rev. But I still think an Axis win is possible without QFM. Just that much harder. There are so many factors that can influence the final result.

If the Axis gain a big victory somewhere with the Panzers then the game can end early with an Axis win. If the Soviets survive the initial Axis onslaught with the Panzers then they probably should win. Unless they have been crippled by the Panzers.

I don't think there is a perfect plan for this one. Every strategy has a counter. Thats why its such a good campaign.

Also I don't think there is another large PZC campaign scenario where player skill is so tested as in this one. You really have to be on the ball tactically, operationally and strategically to get away with this battle.

cheers

No S41 is still the king (IMHO)-if using the expansion campaign scenario and supply trucks. Massive open map with lots of room to maneuver. Not a fixed slugging match like so many of the Eastern Front battles. Russian player needs to be constantly planning and preparing fall back lines. German player needs to watch the supply trucks lest they outrun supply. Bulge and S42 are my two other favorites but S41 is still the best. It just got better with all of the upgrades to the system. Funny how that is after all of the great games made after it, the first one still my favorite.

QFM would greatly help the Germans in S42. I have only one campaign under my belt so my experience is limited.