• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

I hate it when...
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM,
RE: I hate it when...
I hate it when a variable turn game goes too many turns past the last official one, even when no flags are in contention, and when neither side has any interest or capability of continuing the fight---so it just ends up being a few random shots here and there, and a big anticlimax. Cry
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2006, 12:46 PM,
I hate it when a variable turn game goes too many turns past the last official one, even when no flags are in contention, and when neither side has any interest or capability of continuing the fight---so it just ends up being a few random shots here and there, and a big anticlimax. Cry
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM,
When a variable rate game ends doesnt have anything to do with if flags are in contention. I dont know if that is what you meant, but I remember somebody else saying that specifically.
12-06-2006, 02:56 PM,
CT - I wholeheartedly agree with you on this - I suspect variable turn games end at random, without respect to flag contention. Never been able to verify it, again never heard anything but anecdotal support for the 'flag contention = more turns' belief. But I hear a lot of people make the claim that flag contention matters. Pain in the butt to try to test, though.

Anyone know for sure?
12-06-2006, 10:13 PM,
I've always thought it was just a random end for the game and nothing to do with how the battle for the VF's is going.

cheers
12-06-2006, 11:35 PM,
The manual says: (P.45)

"When the turn limit has been set to "variable" in the parameters, and one or more victory flags changes hands near the end of the battle, the battle may be extended more turns....Essentially this means that a battle won't stop short while active fighting is still going on, within limits."

Seems kind of vague what they mean by "actual fighting" but I would assume that if both players ordered their men to stop firing (by using short cover arcs, etc.) The game would stop. Also, keep in mind that idf it's going on forever with no more results you can both press "ceasefire" -the game will end as it is and scores tallied. So as a general rule, if you've nabbed the flags at the beginning and kept them the whole game, it should end quickly. If your opponent runs up and turns one white in the last minute, and you are still sjooting at each other, it will go on. Just my guesses though, based on the rules- as said before, it would be tough to test...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-07-2006, 01:22 AM,
I really must read those manuals one day. ;)
12-07-2006, 01:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2006, 01:48 AM by The Coil.)
RE:��I hate it when...
Fubar Wrote:I really must read those manuals one day. ;)

Nah, it's much easier to just read it piece by piece in posts...

Learn something new every day...thanks, DK.

I wonder what 'changes hands' means - just taking it from 'held' to 'neutral', or do you actually have to take it yourself?
12-07-2006, 06:17 AM,
Troops that crawl AWAY from cover when they come under fire and drop

Tanks that get killed when they are behind buildings, by some lucky shot thru the window.

Forgetting to use your artillery spotters that take 18 turns to drop rounds on the map until turn 20 of a 35 turn game..

Planning to dash thru smoke cover, plotting it perfectly, timing your men to dash thru it, only to find that unknown delays they took, allowed the smoke to disperse, when they get right in the middle of that open field... and there's a fecking MG42 covering the area..

Near misses of artillery that knock out your main guns and leave your Turret cocked at an odd angle, announcing to everyone who can see it, that's a worthless junker now.

6 out of 8 MGs that jam on the same turn at the same time..

the ability of a single squad to pin an entire regiment of Italians.. for 3 days.. without ammo

Flame thrower units that always seem to stand up and die before they can ever get off a shot

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
12-07-2006, 06:18 AM,
RedDevil Wrote:the ability of a single squad to pin an entire regiment of Italians.. for 3 days.. without ammo

LMAO.

Bootie