• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Buying OB and initial deployment
06-29-2006, 02:57 AM,
RE: Buying OB and initial deployment
Well, I usally go with 1 tank Co for each 2 Inf Co and arty support, Mortars for close and some 105mm for C-Battery but after face Jad in the field of honor I really need to think seriously about this!!! :hissy:
We will meet again in the Pacific Jad! Big Grin

Hey Short,

What about the damn Brazilians??? noise parties after our victories in the world cup??cheers

VB
[Image: FARibbon.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-2006, 02:59 AM,
Well, I usally go with 1 tank Co for each 2 Inf Co and arty support, Mortars for close and some 105mm for C-Battery but after face Jad in the field of honor I really need to think seriously about this!!! :hissy:
We will meet again in the Pacific Jad! Big Grin

Hey Short,

What about the damn Brazilians??? noise parties after our victories in the world cup??cheers

VB
06-29-2006, 04:51 PM,
I agree with VB but prefer square organizations to triangular unless I have more than one. Most battle are Meeting Engagements in SP. In RL MEs are generaly fought but the lead Battalions AKA the Advanced Guard. Advanced Guard BNs are most often based on a Mechanized Infantry BN reinforced with tanks,ADA,ARTY,Engineers,Anti-tank, and most importantly RECON units.

For example: the Russians would take a

Motorized Infantry BN (3 companies plus at least an AT,Mortar,and SAM platoon)

Tank Company(with 3 mine plows)

ADA platoon
ATGM platoon
Engineer platoon
SP ADA platoon

On board 122mm Artillery Battery or Battalion
2-3 BNs of off board ARTY 122 and 152mm

Recon Company from Regiment

That is just one example. of course it all depends on your points, the terrain and what you've negotiated with your oppo.

You should read Greybeard's article on "Ad-hoc Company Teams" I completely agree with him in principle.

And VB,

You know exactly which Brazilians I'm talking aboutBig Grin The one's who are getting a free ride at the World Cup:whis:

cheers

06-30-2006, 05:24 AM,
RE:��Buying OB and initial deployment
07-03-2006, 02:29 PM,
RE: ��Buying OB and initial deployment
Von Bismarck Wrote:Hehe..Ok Short Big Grin hope to face you again in the finals!!:cool:

cheers

Better luck in 2010:whis:

cheers
07-03-2006, 03:39 PM,
99% percent of the time I look at the map, check the visibility and terrain type do some numbers on movement and what kinds of terrain Im going to be crossing and then think about what can do the job in the best possible way. I do consider my opponent (spesh Jad) but I dont let that influence my buys to much. I find that if I worry about my opp to much then I end up losing by trying to cover/conter him rather than thinking about what I should be doing (the classic "stareing at the enemies sword problem").

Personly i think setup is much more important. Setup will decide how much of the battle will be fought by what is where, sure you can zoom some units around but a lot of the action goes on in relation to where the units start or in a line from where they started. Only in fully mobile battles do things really swing and that dont always happen.

simple formulas I use.

divide forces your forces on the attack into 3 groups, 2 attacks and one for reserve. Never assualt in one place, always hit the enemy in more than one place, otherwise he will move his reserves all to cover that one attack, one attack or both can be deliberate or one can be a decoy attack. Which ever attack is making better way, move the reserves into there.

On defense, deploy defense networks first (mines obs) and set remainder of forces behind this, half static, half mobile reserve, deploy defense (mines obs) to penalise the enemy using rough terrain and deploy your guns to kill him on the good (raods.open etc), tanks and ATs are the best for stopping enemy attacks with infantry bundeld up for the close quarters dirty work, but useally dug in and static or covering for the fallback.

On ME's attempt to flank while holding the center, even if not the VHs. The enemy will likely go for the gold and not be ready for a flank attack (ok so this dont always work but its worked more times than not, spesh if the flank attack is delayed until mid game) in a variation of the hammer and anvil.

Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.
07-03-2006, 07:53 PM,
"I find that if I worry about my opp to much then I end up losing by trying to cover/conter him rather than thinking about what I should be doing (the classic "stareing at the enemies sword problem")."

So you don't believe in 'the crease' do you?

I do. I am playing against my opponent, not his units or the map or anything else. SP is very much a mano a mano thing. One wins by defeating ones opponent. Tanks, planes, infantry, arty, hill, rivers, etc., are just the tools one uses to do the job.
Terrain pretty much dictates deployment. You can maxamize that terrains effects by what and where you deploy. You don't set an ATGM with a minimum range of 2 in a position where it has a max LOS of 1. Not all terrain is equal. My deployment goal is to get the appropiate unit in the appropiate terrain and integrate it with the mission and the other troops.
I do believe 90% of battles are won or lost during purchase and deployment. Make a serious mistake then and you are well and truely hosed.
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
07-04-2006, 01:06 AM,
Ok I do think about my opp, but the point I was making is that i dont try to second guess them in terms of OOB and tactics (although you can guess at some things) I take the equipment I need to do my job not his, if thats search and destroy him then configure for that over the terrain you expect to fight, etc.

Unless you have an opp that always takes the same stuff then the chance of countering him exactly is low, a good opp will react to you as muc him, often making a standoff situation, I try to focus on what does what with the points i have.

I dont know what the 'crease is'

My best battles are always the ones where I have setup well. often despite taking a less than fabulous OOB for the job, reinforcements can help and sometimes a change of tactics will suffice.

terrain (or lack thereof) is for me the hinge of the battle, I plan around what the terrain can do for me and what it can do for him, both in the positive and negative, cover, exposure, speed and obsticals. a better way to say this might be that i think of my opp in his relation to the terrain not just i who or what he is.

A recent battle I had with jad is a good case in point, i aimed to take and hold the high ground on the map at any cost and in the right conditions (good visibility) did so with good result. high ground allowed me to counter his numbers with my firepower at range while making him come to me.

while I never dis my opps i dont try to play to them or their style except in the case where I know their style and know pretty much how they will play, i do respond to what they do, but My selection of equipment is often predicated on a multirole basis or at least having a backup plan.
Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.
07-04-2006, 03:36 AM,
RE:����Buying OB and initial deployment
shortreengage Wrote:
Von Bismarck Wrote:Hehe..Ok Short Big Grin hope to face you again in the finals!!:cool:

cheers

Better luck in 2010:whis:

cheers

That`s life and now I hope Germany wins Big Grin

Good luck
cheers
07-05-2006, 01:10 AM,
Same here VB. My team got sent home in the first round.(USA). So now I can root for Germans now. They are the guys I know anywaysBig Grin

cheers