• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Buying OB and initial deployment
06-27-2006, 11:42 PM,
Buying OB and initial deployment
So, as the resident newbie I have Greybeard as my Fearless Mentor of Justice +3. Being the person I am, I always look for a million explanations so I can form some sort of opinion on what everyone else thinks about.

For my first battle with Greybeard I am playing as North Korea against his US troops in 1960 with 3000 points.

I've already purchased my troops and done initial deployment, so now I ask this question.

What do you do to determine your OB? Do you follow strict percentages? What are the reasons strategically and tactically? What would you buy for North Korea with 3000 points?

Next, the terrain is pretty up and down with lots of trees, a few clear spots a and a few villages. How do you deploy your force? What are some good rules to follow in determining how you deploy? Where do you put your artillery?
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2006, 01:41 AM,
RE: Buying OB and initial deployment
There is about a million ways to do it.

I never go over an agreed percentage.

I would buy plenty of infantry and some arty support, deploy a thin tripwire across the map and a mass to attack one point of entry where the off-board guns would do drop some smoke and shells. I always check the map and use the terrain the best I can. But like I said there is as many ways to do it as there is players.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
06-28-2006, 06:03 AM,
Vesku is on top of the leader board today, so I guess he knows that of which he speaks. Giving the lexury of cherrypicking my units, I first look at the map and guess about how many of the hexes have some sort of terrain in tem. Trees, houses, etc., anything that offerrs cover. If it looks like the map has more hexes with cover then clear, the terrain is closed, if more hexes are clear, then it is open. If it's got a lot of elevation, then those count as open. What I'm doing is getting a estimate on engagement ranges.
If it looks like there will be a lot of long range engagements (more then 9 hexes) you want to lean toward Armored and Mech units. If it looks like the bulk of the fighting will be under 19 hexes (500 meters), then you want to lean toward Infantry.
This is for MBT, Of Course. The WW2 games are different.
As far as percentages, I assume you are speaking about the ones worked out by Leo the Wise in the early days of the Holy Roman empire.
I have tried them , and they still work, it just takes some flexiablity as to where something like AD goes. Is AD part of the Main Battle, or the reserve, or the 2 or 3rd lines? :conf:
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
06-28-2006, 08:02 AM,
06-28-2006, 08:38 AM,
I just buy tanks that look cool.

Jad
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM,
Jad,
you should add deadly to your list.:)

As for me i like to have abalanced force and somtimes that costs me when playing against Tank heavy forces.

Plus always try and have a reserve, it dosn't happen all the time but they do make the difference.

Wigam
[Image: Tiger-Sig2.jpg]
Send this user an email
06-28-2006, 12:30 PM,
Ok, you motivated me to go digging thru the book pile.

front line 30%
second line 20%
3rd line 10%
scouts 5%
flankers 5%
reserve 20%
ambushers 5%
Command security 5% ( this last is a greek word that doesn't translate very well. Or so I have been told. (ece'o^pol) Bodguards? Sworn men? SS? Storm Troopers?

This actually works out pretty well if you consider things from a mission oriented POV. If you have 10,000 points then you want 3,000 worth in the front line. It can be Infantry, Armor, cooks and bakers, whatever the terrain and your plan call for.
Translated into modern terms, the flankers and scouts are considered the same mission, sort of. If they are out looking for contact, they are scouts. If they are in a hide watching to make sure nobody sneaks up on them, they are flankers.
These percetages are some what blurry when used with modern units. Just where the front line stops and the 3nd line begins is a matter of taste. The basic concept is to give depth to your force structure. If you look at it as one thick line then 60% of your forces are in it.
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
06-28-2006, 01:01 PM,
Wow., that's way to complicated for a simple boy like me......I still think I will stick with my plan it's alot easier......if it looks cool, it's probably a badass........

Jad
06-28-2006, 02:28 PM,
Now JAD, I've seen your Idea of cool tanks.

1)Find a tank that goes real fast and has a BIG gun.

2)Bolt extra armor on it then tell your oppo that he has a technological advantage.

3)Tie some peasants to it.

Sound familiar?
06-28-2006, 07:28 PM,
Add to Jads plan....

"Ruthlessly roll over anything that moves or gets in your way.":smg:

"If it moves, kill it, then kill it some more, LOL.":kill:

But to his credit it works, and how.;)

BTW Jad I have that map ready for you, in the mail tonight
Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.