• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

What do you say?
06-20-2006, 05:07 AM,
RE: What do you say?
Just don't say to 101paratrooper good luck...he eats bullshit...in CMBO he's the luckiest person I've ever seen...play cmak...with him Big Grin
It is as I have FORSEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!

Emperor Palpatine....
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2006, 05:08 AM,
I think your looking into a little too much. Here in the UK it is simply a polite saying. About 90% of my opponents begin a game with a 'good luck' of course they dont mean it in the true sense of the words but it is seen as being polite or perhaps they know I need all the luck I can get. LOL.

Its nice ot be important but its more important to be nice.

Bootie
06-20-2006, 05:21 AM,
I usually say good luck, but that has a double meaning.

"Good Luck" as a polite form of address to an opponent with whom you will enjoy a rousing PBEM game. cheers

but it also means "Good LUCK" in the sense that you just know that you will utterly crush your hapless opponent and that the only way he can beat you is if he is incredibly lucky! Shark2

06-20-2006, 09:14 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:Everybody else can say "good luck" if they want to - I don't even see what's polite about it - to me it's not even rational. Who sincerely wants their opponent to be lucky? Be real. Who loses and honestly says "I'm so glad for you that you were incredibly lucky in that game." (I have had more than a few angry rants at my own lucky breaks, however.) I do like "have fun" - and statements along that line - seems more in step with why we play.

LOL, alright you convinced me. Next time we play I'm going to wish you BAD LUCK:P
06-20-2006, 09:38 AM,
06-20-2006, 12:21 PM,
Yes it sounds like expressions may be a case of different shades of meaning for different countries as I only understood about half of what the heck Kapitan just wrote. Jammier? Swag?

First Sergeant I like your "Good luck - you'll need it" interpretation. LOL
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
06-20-2006, 12:38 PM,
06-20-2006, 08:58 PM,
Ahh I see - we say "loot" or "stash" for swag and sometimes "squirrely" for "jammy." Do you guys still say "hard cheese" for bad luck? I read that in a British book once and thought it was funny. "Hard cheese that you lost that Tiger, old man." he he
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
06-21-2006, 12:43 AM,
Der Kuenstler Wrote:First Sergeant I like your "Good luck - you'll need it" interpretation. LOL

Big Grin
06-21-2006, 01:26 AM,
I have received some choice and memorable salutations (both initial greetings and during the course of a game) - "See your men in hell..." , "Your Firefly blowed up-real good" "Hope it hurts, dude..." , and "Yor men walked right into my pre-planned artillery barrage.."

LOL