• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

When should you be considered a newbie basher?
06-15-2006, 03:07 AM,
RE: When should you be considered a newbie basher?
I,m a 41 yr old married with kids newbie, so I am quite used to suffering
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2006, 04:36 AM,
LOL @ spike!!

: )

I tend to agree with most of the posts, and am glad that this has generated some positive feedback and constructive feedback, especially from the newbi...errr the "new players to the club".

: )

Also note: I think that the ELO ranking system takes into account the "newbie" factor and adjusts for such so that padding of scores is frowned against statistically, yet not as much as I would like to see. Typically if your opponent has a 1-11 record, you won't get hardly any points for a win, and you have much more to lose if you draw or lose yourself. If you consistently play players below .500 and you are at .750, you can over time pervert the system. ELO is not a perfect system for determining rankings... (for those of us who care about that sort of thing!! lol...)

As well, I think that any advantages given to players with less experience over veterans is a copout and is perhaps one of the most egregious philosophies one can hold. In any battle where you are angling for an advantage based on the theory that "you have more experience than I, so I should get some advantages over you to make up for it" is a crock IMHO. Only the most self absorbed players would ever use this line in setting up a battle.

It's heartening to see that many new players would rather be treated in equinamity and earn the experience to get the wins over taking advantages. With experience, comes wins, trust me, and playing veterans and beating them is much more satisfying if you ask me.

Mind you, most vet players including myself, enjoy playing very imbalanced scenarios, especially when its against a new or learning player... it just gives a better gaming outcome I've found. To each his own.

That being said, I still believe in mentoring (per the definitions implied above in terms of constructive and friendly play) and pushing a game or two here and there where the results did not generate a fun game for an opponent. I've never had anyone balk at this ever, and as I have said, has done nothing but catalyze great gaming spirit and comradery... and has never been viewed upon as "charity" by any player I've come across. It's good to know that we have a club that is not absolutely caught up in "winning"..., although I know we all like to win a good hard battle.

Good feedback folks.

Cheers all!

Leto
06-15-2006, 11:36 AM,
Tanker Wrote:DK, we all know you are a warm fuzzy bunny, way down deep.:P

All I need is some understanding and a hug....
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
06-17-2006, 03:36 AM,
[hirr Wrote:Leto]
Does the club have any thoughts on this?

The only personal rule I have is that I only play newbies if they wish to learn, and I can coach them along in the game so they can benefit and get some value out of the experience. I also make sure that my dance card is usually 90% Vets with a high ranking and minimum .500 W/L.

Sometimes I will give a push (draw, or new game with no result on last game) when things go very badly for the new player and they get a bit disenheartened. I find it does wonders for club morale and really does make the newer players feel like they are not just being preyed upon by "wanna be rank pretenders".

Cheers!

Leto

Man that never happened to me, i was pounded into dust then they drove over me with there tanks......................I guess my scholl was the hard knocks schoolf of CM

Walkure
06-17-2006, 04:14 AM,
Walkure Wrote:Man that never happened to me, i was pounded into dust then they drove over me with there tanks......................I guess my scholl was the hard knocks schoolf of CM

Walkure

Theres your problem, I find guys fight better in boots than sandals, no matter how comfy they are!
06-17-2006, 04:32 AM,
LMAO -- picturing my panzergrenadiers charging across the steppes in Doctor Scholl sandals... pissin' myself at that mental image.
(..and seeing that they're German, probably wearing white socks too Big Grin )
06-17-2006, 05:02 AM,
ALright guys so i can't spell and my men fight in strange non issue gear.
Don't knock it till you try it.

Walkure:whis:
06-17-2006, 05:04 AM,
I hope you guys come visit us Yanks here in Miami Florida, and get a dental emergency.....................Pay backs will be a bitch..

Juan:smoke:
06-17-2006, 05:27 AM,
You know what they say about British Teef!
06-17-2006, 05:29 AM,
Rico (FGM) Wrote:LMAO -- picturing my panzergrenadiers charging across the steppes in Doctor Scholl sandals... pissin' myself at that mental image.
(..and seeing that they're German, probably wearing white socks too Big Grin )

Possibly carrying their ammo in fashionable 'Man bags' too?