• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

When should you be considered a newbie basher?
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM,
When should you be considered a newbie basher?
Does the club have any thoughts on this?

The only personal rule I have is that I only play newbies if they wish to learn, and I can coach them along in the game so they can benefit and get some value out of the experience. I also make sure that my dance card is usually 90% Vets with a high ranking and minimum .500 W/L.

Sometimes I will give a push (draw, or new game with no result on last game) when things go very badly for the new player and they get a bit disenheartened. I find it does wonders for club morale and really does make the newer players feel like they are not just being preyed upon by "wanna be rank pretenders".

Cheers!

Leto
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2006, 02:36 PM,
RE: When should you be considered a newbie basher?
A newbie basher, to me, is someone who waits for new and/or poor players to post seeking opponents and grabs a game against them. Anything else gets very subjective....probably too hard to judge.

Possibly good players are better off posting looking for opponents, rather than replying to other players posts (unless the other players are clearly veteran/very good), so people can decide for themselves whether they want to take them on.

Personally I'm just getting opponents via tournaments at the moment and not taking any more on otherwise, so let the dice fall where they will....the further you go, the harder they get.

You are setting a fine example, Pete....keep it up :)
06-14-2006, 03:45 PM,
I'm a newbie at this game, pretty much, and I'm getting my brains bashed in in multiple games atm. No big deal.

I would rather have a game I am outclassed in than no game at all. I dont really mind if I never get any better at it either. If it stops being fun, I will find something else to do.

I would be ashamed if someone treated me like a child learning to play chess, letting me "do good". Besides, if someone really wants to become a good player, that would be counter-productive for them.

I dont think anyone needs to worry over being labelled as a 'newbie basher' unless they are rubbbing salt in the poor guy's wounds or taunting him overmuch. If a guy asks for a game and you feel like it, then play. That's all it is, a game, after all.
06-14-2006, 09:44 PM,
06-14-2006, 10:29 PM,
As a 'newbie' I would add this - I have played CM since CMBO was first released so I am fully conversant in how the game system works. What I am new to is playing against human opponents and am finding that the tactics required are different to those you would employ against the AI.

In my opinion losing teaches more than winning - so far in games I have played I have learnt - not to use tanks in isolation i.e 1 v 1 against other tanks, dont underestimate your opponents strength and rush his defences before you know what and where his defences are, dont try and walk infantry through deep snow - they will never get there and wait for your artillery to take effect however long that may be.

Thats just from 3 games of CMBB, 1 I have lost, 1 I will lose and 1 I may win. Fortunately in CM we get the chance to learn from our mistakes in WW2 one mistake may have been all you made.

So really what I am saying is that as long as there is no 'gloating' from players I am one newbie who does not mind being bashed as long as I learn a lesson which I can put to use in the future.
06-14-2006, 10:38 PM,
New people here can search on any opponent's name and find his complete Blitz record, game and oponent history. They then can study the parameters screen and the layout of the map and, if they so choose, can abort any game offered all the way up to the completion of the first turn without a penalty. It's not like they don't know what they are getting into if they bother to properly prepare themselves. No newbie is forced to play vet players or forced to get in over their heads. They merely accept games that are offered them. Perhaps they've been playing the AI and have an inflated idea of themselves - or perhaps they've come from another game club and are really good - who knows. I think it's funny that we like to play a violent simulation, based on one of the bloodiest times in history, in which we try gain an advantage over, deceive, outmaneuver, and destroy one another forces and morale - but outside the game we think we have to be warm fuzzy bunnies or we're not nice. This is just a computer game you know - the sun still comes up the next day if you lose one. He he - as has been said - we're adults and we make choices to either be aware and prepared or not to be and learn from them.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
06-14-2006, 11:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2006, 11:38 PM by Tanker.)
DK, we all know you are a warm fuzzy bunny, way down deep.:P

I'm still new at this game. As other posters have said, I've learned a lot from the numerous thrashings I've received. I'd rather play an experienced player than one of my own or lesser skill. As an old chess teacher once said, "one must learn to lose with equanimity".

I must say that, with one exception, I've never been contacted by a more experienced player to begin a game. I've always made first contact and knew what I was getting into.
06-15-2006, 12:43 AM,
If a new player comes along on the MB and asks for a game and I have a free slot I'll give him a game. Its not pouncing on the new players but we have all been there once. I got regualrly bashed during my first few months in the club (actually I still get bashed -even after 4 years) its a fantastic learning experience and Im still learning LOL.

Bootie
06-15-2006, 01:25 AM,
I will generally play against anyone. Having been a totally "green" player, not that long ago, I know one of the most frustating part of being a wet behind the ears "newbie" is not being able to get games with "veteran" or "crack" players (not to mention "elite" Eek )

When I first started playing PBEM, what allowed me to bring my game up to the next level was being soundly defeated by experienced players. When a player takes the plunge and goes from playing the AI to playing other players, he generally does it because he is looking for a new challenge.

I think it's the responsibility, nay duty, of every "crack" (or "elite" Eek players) to thoroughly trash a newbie every other week. Big Grin
06-15-2006, 01:59 AM,
Over on the SP Ladder we created a Mentor Program, and it is offered to new Boots when they sign up. Essentially the Custodian has a list of veteran players who have volunteered to play a new Boot and not only help him, but explain in detail on each turn what works in what situations and why, etc The Boot in encouraged to ask questions, and the Mentor is obligated to answer them, no hiding behind the "I don't want to give away my plans" dodge. Both the Boot and the Mentor receive ladder bonus points, and you can only play 3 Mentor games (to avoid people padding their scores).

Having said that, not many new Boots take advantage of the offer. It has been my observation that only about 20% of the people who sign up for a ladder ever actually play a game, and only 20% of those that play a game play more than 1. Why that is I don't know (and those numbers are impressions not scientific data collection). I "suspect" that as others have said, many people are just shy or sign up on a whim when they find the website and never come back. A good percentage of those that sign up are humbled by the vast differences between playing the AI and playing PBEM. In the long run, so few Boots go on to become hard core regulars at this (or any other club) that when playing a Boot it is adviseable to be gentle. If not on the battlefields, then in the emails. The ones brave enough to get a game started can probably stomach the losing, but if they're gloated at they'll probably take off mid-game or right after.

So, my long winded rambling answer to Pete's original question is, IMHO you're a newbie basher if you're playing a Boot and are not only beating him, but you're also gloating about it like you've just beaten someone like Randy for the first time in 20 tries. Other than that, you're probably not bashing, unless you play the same Boot repeatedly. No harm in teaching a hard lesson to a Boot, but you don't have to teach him 10 games in a row either Big Grin

Paul