• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Byte Battle Brawl -- Latest!
06-21-2006, 11:01 PM,
RE: Byte Battle Brawl -- Latest!
This is more like it - a tactical discussion - I would have been happy to see the T34's come into the village - if there is one thing my German vets are not scared of doing its close assaulting tanks with their grenades - given that if the Russians have T34's they may have inexperienced crews in a scenario this size due to point cost. You could probably bang on their hatch with a sledge hammer and they would be bailing out:). In addition by advancing into the village they are potentially exposing flanks/rear to any unidentified AT elements - what would have worried me was if they sat back and pulverised the village house by house and then made a late dash for the flags.

As regards force selection - all I will say on the matter is it HAS to be on trust.
Anything else and people will lose interest which will be a shame because this has the makings of a great tournament and personally I dont want to play a QB tournament where everyone picks Uber tanks and 88mm AT guns etc. Random pick is what makes this tournament.

Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2006, 11:16 PM,
Yes back to the tactical situation, i wouldn't write off the germans in this one yet, i think there will be more german victories than anyone expects.
06-21-2006, 11:25 PM,
Elltee Wrote:Additionally the random nature of the forces involved mean it is unlikely that any of us will have the same battle experience. That is why I wrote up the AAR of my game (which I would encourage others to do, however briefly) as it brings the tournament to life to know what others had/had to face and how they approached it. For instance I would love to know if any German player got a vehicle better than a tin can car and if it swayed the battle in their favour, did any one come up with a really original offensive/defensive set up, did anyone risk a AT gun in the tree line knowing they could be set up right in the middle of a Russian set up area etc. That way us newbies can see how the real experts are able to make a winning situation out of one we may consider hopeless.

Excellent idea, Elltee -- be great to see how everybody did and what they ended up having to fight with...
06-21-2006, 11:27 PM,
Elltee Wrote:Additionally the random nature of the forces involved mean it is unlikely that any of us will have the same battle experience. That is why I wrote up the AAR of my game (which I would encourage others to do, however briefly) as it brings the tournament to life to know what others had/had to face and how they approached it. For instance I would love to know if any German player got a vehicle better than a tin can car and if it swayed the battle in their favour, did any one come up with a really original offensive/defensive set up, did anyone risk a AT gun in the tree line knowing they could be set up right in the middle of a Russian set up area etc. That way us newbies can see how the real experts are able to make a winning situation out of one we may consider hopeless.

Excellent idea, Elltee -- be great to see how everybody did and what they ended up having to fight with...
06-21-2006, 11:42 PM,
taffy Wrote:This does raise a question of how many people are going to stick with their original setup. - escecialy if you know its realy rubbish.
If anyone can think of a way around this it would be great as the random forces are what makes the tourny interesting. (Maybe asking other player to do set ups?)

Only sure-fire way to avoid the set-up issue is for me or somebody neutral to start up all the 20 games in each round, save them and send a file and password to each player that goes first.

It would work but would be more work than I have time for at this point.
06-22-2006, 04:18 AM,
I prefer the tactical discussions. I'm sure everyone set-up and played with what they got, time to move along and as has been said before, if guys continue to be that lucky in every game, thens the time to cry foul to the appropriate Body.

Now, I believe that the Germans can win this one, it takes some thought and a little luck but I think they can do it, you may have ammo worries and be threatened by tanks but you dont have to kill everything. Its only 20 turns and if you can keep Ivan off the flags and kill some stuff without being overwhelmed then you have a good chance. Application and timing are sometimes a great counter to brute force and all German Infantry can kill all Soviet armour. There are after all only 2 places that the armour can come from and no-one says you have to sit on the flags from turn 1, if you get what I mean! Hopefully all games are underway now?
06-22-2006, 05:56 AM,
I got a nice STUG as the germans along with a bunch of rubbish. Hid it in the river whilst waving the rubbish around. Russian tanks tempted in. 7 russian tanks dead so far I think. More on my sneaky tricks after the battle....

G
06-22-2006, 03:50 PM,
Ok, first 4 results are in --

Zaraza - Allied tactical Victory over Bubonicus

Elltee - Allied Total Victory over Zaraza

101paratrooper - Allied Total Victory over Taffy

101paratrooper - Axis Major Victory over Ratzki

To see all results and League standings go to the
Blitz CMBB Byte Battle Brawl Tourney website
06-22-2006, 04:28 PM,
Back on the tactics talk of a few posts ago, the German force has ample spuzzerinktum to hold off hordes of Russian conscripts and green troops. I just finished gettin' beat on by 101P and after comparing forces that he got as to my Axis forces in the other game, they are not that different, 101P did get a few extra AT assets but not out of line with what could be expected. I hammered away on his positions in the buildings till i was running outa time and his crack and elite troops did not budge, my guys seemed to panic every time a butterfly drifted past. I had no long range infantry firepower, my armor had command issue delays approching 1 minute, he dropped Arty on me about turn three and it was dead on accurate and I had not even seen him yet. If the game had been 10 turns longer i would have been ok nursing my troops along but did not have that luxury, in the end as things bogged down i had to advance on positions that were not all that bothered by small HE fire and i paid the price. Now as for hinting of cheating, i have to admit, 101P is about the luckiest guy i have ever run up against. I think he farts horse shoes. But there is NO indication of ANY hanky panky on his part in the three games that i have played against him. He returns files promtly and chats away between turns, in my book an excellent opponent. He is beatable as he is finding out even with his 6 Tigers in the '44 QB that we are in the middle of right now, unless he pulls out one of those horse shoes that he carries around.:)
06-22-2006, 04:59 PM,
Grumlin - A Stug would have been nice - a real equaliser vs Russian light armour - and using the river to hide was a good idea - I sat my Armoured Car right back as far west as possible and then threw it in when required but it only got off 1 shot before being vapourised.

Ratzki - did you do your attack only from the east? I did but if I had anything larger than a Company I might have been tempted to send some through the forests west of the river where they are almost on top of a flag without breaking cover as it was I could only spare two tank hunters to spot for my main attack. In addition my opponent only had a platoon of infantry so once I had eliminated his AT threat I was fairly safe to hit his troops with everything I had - Flame tanks helped -It don't matter how good the troops are they all run from flame or pay the price.