06-21-2006, 11:49 AM,
RE: Byte Battle Brawl -- Latest!
25 RESTARTS!?
I don't think your supposed to do that?

Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2006, 05:58 PM,
Ah the Lord of Misquotes has paid us a visit. What para actually said was:

Quote:my computer bought for me 3 t-34 so i'm having fun as allied and as german a single small AT gun good places eliminated 3 tanks so far and not a single casualty from my troops

I think the rest was added due to the amazingly lucky 101P yet again being amazingly lucky. However no one has outrightly accussed him of giving his amazing luck a helping hand by re-starting his set up 25 times. Actually to disprove this theory I decided to set-up and get T-34 and it does not take 25 times as it only took me 18 times, so as you can all see out of every 18 players at least 1 will get T-34.
06-21-2006, 07:37 PM,
and T-34's dont actually make a difference in this battle - anyone who does not win as Russians has really FUBAR'd coz you either get hordes of conscripts/greens who should overrun German's from all directions as is happening in my German game or a Company of regular troops with armour superiority who launch a large attack from one direction and take out the strung out defenders unit by unit as in my Russian game
06-21-2006, 08:32 PM,
Oh I would disagree. You could have an elastic German defence gradually falling back to hold on the main flag after cunningly ambushing the Soviet Horde.

All things being equal it is very possible to get a Victory as Germans in this one.
06-21-2006, 08:56 PM,
Ok, please let's cut down on the sarcastic public comments that skate close to downright accusations of cheating! -- if you have serious concerns, please raise issues like that in private with me or CM Ladder custodians.

Yes, the fun and challenge of this tourney is to play the cards you get dealt and do the best you can to best of your tactical abilities under the circumstances... yes, with the sometimes shitty situation you have been dumped in as a junior commander and with the forces you're stuck with... without resorting to a quick shopping trip Tanks 'R' Us to stock up on kit ala QB's.
If you can't win a battle outright -- hey, see how much you can make the enemy bleed for his victory! :cool2:

This tourney concept relies on players' HONOUR to make it work. If you as a player are too fixated on winning games at all cost and will resort to...for instance, restarting the set-up over and over until you're happy with your equipment, then this tourney is not for you and it's best to resign and walk away right now.

Even without outright, proven cheating going on, the innuendo and suspicion of it going on can poison a tourney so completely as to make it unsustainable. Some of you might remember that a few years back I ran a lot of tourneys for the CS ladders until cheating, both alleged and real, soured the whole thing for me and I got out of the business. Please let's not go down this route with the Byte Battle Brawl as well -- I truly believe that the greater majority of players here at the Blitz are honourable, good guys (ok, you might not want them marrying your daughters) :whis:
06-21-2006, 09:09 PM,
What? The Lord of Misquotes?
I didn't realise taffy was quoting an earlier post! Helps to read back I guess. No intention of raising the spectre of cheating intended.
And yes Geordie I am getting a bloody nose in our battle as the soviets!
06-21-2006, 09:11 PM,
Geordie Wrote:Oh I would disagree. You could have an elastic German defence gradually falling back to hold on the main flag after cunningly ambushing the Soviet Horde.

All things being equal it is very possible to get a Victory as Germans in this one.

I agree with G on this one... but then I guess there are so many variables in this battle, that a lot of different things can happen...
I guess as german player trying to hold on to too much and spreading your small force too thin might be a mistake... also when to open fire especially with scarce AT assets...

Hey, this is emant to be a challenge Big Grin
06-21-2006, 09:38 PM,
Well, win, lose or draw I havent had as much fun in a small QB for absolutely ages.

Thanks to Rico for coming up with this, it really stretches my brain as both sides thinking of all the possibilities here.

Well done mate!
06-21-2006, 10:01 PM,
And that is the beauty of this excellent scenario Rico - as in real warfare, opposing sides are never equal and balanced - so the real challenge of this particular battle is to get something like a draw+ as the Germans - those who do will be the true victors in this round. The key to the whole tournament is to win well when you can and to prevent your opponent from winning well when you can't win.

Additionally the random nature of the forces involved mean it is unlikely that any of us will have the same battle experience. That is why I wrote up the AAR of my game (which I would encourage others to do, however briefly) as it brings the tournament to life to know what others had/had to face and how they approached it. For instance I would love to know if any German player got a vehicle better than a tin can car and if it swayed the battle in their favour, did any one come up with a really original offensive/defensive set up, did anyone risk a AT gun in the tree line knowing they could be set up right in the middle of a Russian set up area etc. That way us newbies can see how the real experts are able to make a winning situation out of one we may consider hopeless.

Finally, lets not let this tournament degenerate into accusations and counter accusations etc. Lets enjoy our wins when they happen for we know not when the next one will be and lets all remember why we are here - because win or lose CM is the best computer game we play (or have I started another debate there?).Big Grin

06-21-2006, 10:26 PM,
I think having t-34-s makes a difference - they have just rolled straight into the village knowing that they are pretty much impregnable to the german set up.This does raise a question of how many people are going to stick with their original setup. - escecialy if you know its realy rubbish.
If anyone can think of a way around this it would be great as the random forces are what makes the tourny interesting. (Maybe asking other player to do set ups?)
Im not having a go because rico has done a great job here but imagine the stick 101 will get if he is this lucky the next time.
(I tried out the setups thing and got T-34s after only 4 goes)
anyway im looking forward to the rest of the tornement - cheers all