• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Carrier Rifle Sections
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2010, 01:29 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: Carrier Rifle Sections
(06-09-2006, 03:22 AM)Afro Thunder Wrote: Is it just me, or is the carrier rifle section the most useless infantry unit in the British arsenal?

No, it is not just you Big Grin Although I could make an case with Cromwells against Tigers... :hissy:

(06-09-2006, 10:08 AM)Digger Wrote: By the way if you are looking for useless units in the British Arsenal, try the AAMG Platoon..

OK... I am stuck in Normandy in two separate scenarios, with seemingly half of my infantry consisting of the mighty Carrier Rifle Sections... :chin:

I am facing some pretty verocious German battle cats, and would be in need of some simple advice on how to pack a punch with these guys. To add an insult (?) to an injury, instead of PIATs I've been issued some AAMG platoons instead.

Did an search, found this thread...

(06-09-2006, 10:11 AM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: Sorry guys. I like both units. They have value. I will explain later, when I have a moment. cheers

While I appreciate their mobile nature, I would need some hints & tips as how to survive in the more traditional battlefield with these guys...

So how about that later being now, for an example? :cheeky:
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 05:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2010, 05:16 AM by Kool Kat.)
Hi Petri: :smoke:

Wow... you dug up a 4 year old thread? :eek1:

But it is an interesting discussion?

IMHO, the British Carrier unit has uses? :chin:

I use it to scout, spot for artillery, garrison VP hexes behind my lines, beef up the defense of important artillery pieces, dig Improved Positions (reminder - units digging in have their attack strength halved) so more important (stronger) infantry units in that hex may attack at full strength, and I also send these units, loaded on Bren carriers, behind enemy lines to attack artillery, HQ's, and transport units.

Use what you have to your best advantage? :smoke:
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
03-09-2010, 05:17 AM,
(03-09-2010, 05:04 AM)mwest Wrote: Hi Petri: :smoke:

Wow... you dug up a 4 year old thread? :eek1:

But it is an interesting discussion?

IMHO, the British Carrier unit has uses? :chin:

I use it to garrison VP hexes behind my lines, beef up the defense of important artillery pieces, dig Improved Positions (reminder - units digging in have their attack strength halved) so more important (stronger) infantry units in that hex may attack at full strength, and I also send these units, loaded on Bren carriers, behind enemy lines to attack artillery, HQ's, and transport units.

Use what you have to your best advantage? :smoke:

That's what a search is for, right? And especially as a certain gentleman had promised to share his wisdom should he have time to gather his thoughts... ;)

Thanks for your thoughts. Lot of good tips such as the one about digging in!

But what about using them in actual battles, should the mix be around 50/50 between them and regular rifle platoons and there are just not enough men around?

Are they actually good in a certain role? Or is it just having enough of them around to pack a punch when needed?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-10-2010, 11:15 AM,
IIRC their fire strength has been raised to 9 from their somewhat humble previous 6 (?). That's helped a lot. Combined with their carriers they now are a pretty decent mobile fire force. They have served me quite well as line infantry and a mobile raiding force in Strike of the Blade.
03-10-2010, 05:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM by Crossroads.)
Thanks guys cheers

What about them against enemy armour? Or having some full rifle platoons possibly available as well. No PIATs. Just some AAMG platoons...

Any ideas? Duck?
Visit us at CSLegion.com