• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Carrier Rifle Sections
06-09-2006, 03:22 AM,
Carrier Rifle Sections
Is it just me, or is the carrier rifle section the most useless infantry unit in the British arsenal? The funny thing is, the unit handbook describes it as a powerful unit, seeing as how it's a 9-man section generously assigned 3 Bren machineguns, and yet it only has a pathetic maximum attack factor of 5. Is there a "proper" way to use this unit? Oh, and why does the Rising Sun version have a pathetic defense factor of 3?
"Would you like a large or small crater with that, sir?"
- Republic Commando RC-1262 "Scorch"

"Just get us inside without killing the squad, okay Scorch?"
- RC-1138 "Boss"
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2006, 10:06 AM,
RE: Carrier Rifle Sections
Rising Sun has the points wrong as far as I am concerned...These units are incredibly useful..In fact I love my Carrier Rifle Platoons..Check the points only 1VP per SP. Which makes them excellent for scouting..which is exactly what they are meant for..They make excellent spotters and are useful for drawing fire, surrounding the enemy for overruns why waste a 6SP Rifle platoon worth 18VP when a 3VP special can do the job for you..They should be compared to the Jeep MG platoon, except they tend to survive alot longer which makes them more useful.
06-09-2006, 10:08 AM,
By the way if you are looking for useless units in the British Arsenal, try the AAMG Platoon..
06-09-2006, 10:11 AM,
Sorry guys. I like both units. They have value. I will explain later, when I have a moment. cheers
06-09-2006, 11:13 AM,
Okay, so maybe it's not as useless as I initially thought. In fact, I just played a scenario against the AI where I used the rifle sections (loaded in their carriers) to surround and capture several disrupted enemy rifle platoons, as well as to destroy several enemy artillery positions behind enemy lines, once again in their carriers.

What I don't understand is why this unit is so underpowered. Sure, it is only 9 men, compared to a full strength rifle platoon which contains 30 to 60 soldiers, but shouldn't they make for it with their heavy firepower? Also, why do they have less defense than a standard rifle platoon? You'd think that they would present a smaller target to the enemy, since a full strength section is only 9 soldiers.
"Would you like a large or small crater with that, sir?"
- Republic Commando RC-1262 "Scorch"

"Just get us inside without killing the squad, okay Scorch?"
- RC-1138 "Boss"
06-09-2006, 01:46 PM,

Digger is right. I find the carrier unit extremely useful. Speed and propperly applied firepower can make great use of these platoon.

My most useless votes go to the German Volksturm or the Russian ATR's.
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM,
I recall Umbro writing a little ditty on how to properly use the bren and the carrier section in tandem. They can be devestating. Search for carrier sections in posts a few months ago.

Nort
06-10-2006, 05:37 AM,
How about the Matilda 1 what the hell is that slow no armour capability and useless against all but trucks.
06-10-2006, 05:45 AM,
You forgot "ugly" too! John! ;)
06-10-2006, 07:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2006, 07:30 AM by Abatis.)
I concur that carrier rifle platoons are great recce(love their carriers)..also using them to assist in assualts, or to flank or cut off retreat paths before assaults is valuable..they are cheap and useful...I agree with you though on the fire power disparity...seems that 3 Brens should have more punch. (and within a 250 m sq hex, it would seem assault factor is lacking too for the same reason....) Their defense rating confuses me too...should be the same as a rifle pltn IMHO...even with fewer guys, the propensity of automatic weapons should make up for that...and there are even fewer men to be spotted, so it seems they should have that going for them in defense too....of course, they might no longer be "cheap" if all that was "fixed"! LOL I have never fully understood the abstractions for this unit, but have found them very useful just the same.
"I'll wrestle anybody in the crowd!"

Pappy Boyington