• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Storm in the East - Round 4
01-28-2016, 06:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2016, 06:36 AM by Tripps.)
RE: Storm in the East - Round 4
(01-28-2016, 01:57 AM)raz_atoth Wrote: I think he's reffering to bugs with the LOS. But on the other hand, all three games(four if you count CMBS) use the same engine, so it's unlikely this only affects CMRT.

I only play RT, so cant comment on the other versions - my understanding is BS is a different engine? Regardless, in my limited (10 or so) games, funky things always seem to happen which is taking away my enjoyment (not just LOS) - i dont want to hijack this thread however, so if I have the time I will post an exhaustive list elsewhere :)
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2016, 07:09 AM,
Nope it is the same engine for all. Each release contains fixes and new features that do take a while to get ported into the other ones but think of them as the same engine. After a new game comes out the other games usually are in the queue to get patches so things that were fixed in the engine while the release was worked on can be shared all around so the exact state of each game's engine is slightly different.

The thing about bugs is to get fixed they have to be known and accepted by BFC. So the best thing to do is create or find a game save that shows the problem and report it on their forum.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
01-28-2016, 08:36 AM,
Raz, that's my point, nothing has changed since he started the tourney, there are no "new issues", and all the games are the same, CMRT doesn't have any "additional issues" apart from other games.
01-28-2016, 08:46 AM,
(01-28-2016, 06:34 AM)Tripps Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 01:57 AM)raz_atoth Wrote: I think he's reffering to bugs with the LOS. But on the other hand, all three games(four if you count CMBS) use the same engine, so it's unlikely this only affects CMRT.

I only play RT, so cant comment on the other versions - my understanding is BS is a different engine? Regardless, in my limited (10 or so) games, funky things always seem to happen which is taking away my enjoyment (not just LOS) - i dont want to hijack this thread however, so if I have the time I will post an exhaustive list elsewhere :)

funky things? like what?
01-28-2016, 05:18 PM,
(01-28-2016, 01:00 AM)weapon2010 Wrote: emailed and messaged meerkat 4 times, no response

Here the same. 

Sent a PM and an e-mail to Vodn Sigfodr three days ago but no answer back so far .....  Helmet Rolleyes
01-29-2016, 08:16 AM,
(01-28-2016, 08:46 AM)weapon2010 Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 06:34 AM)Tripps Wrote:

funky things? like what?

Well, take this situation is point:
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/1...try1575867

I had quite a few things go 'funky' - so i post about just two of them explaining what happened - the generic reply is well since you didnt save the turn with your orders you must have done something different to what you originally said - i dont know about you, but i generally dont save every turn in a 100 turn game before clicking 'turn' - so thats the get out of jail free card, "it must be you".
In this case however, I was able to replicate both issues - and had the time to take pictures and video, proving my point(s).

In the first instance, Kieme was able to investigate and explain what was happening, but it obviously was a very lengthy and complicated investigation which, while able to explain why the issue happened, still left me with a feeling that this engine has a way to go before I would find it enjoyable.
As to the second issue - no explanation.

Now this was only 2 examples, of which you have to laboriously recreate and prove with evidence, otherwise you will just get fobbed off, and to an extent fair enough, but take those 2 examples, the first issues answer is to play with gridlines on and adjust your movement orders not to the terrain or situation, but as to the grids, because your units will do their own thing there, the second issue, crickets chirping, why would I want to spend another couple hours proving a point when the answer is silence?

Keep in mind, I do not want to come across 'as having a whinge' - if it does, well, its only in the interests of wanting to play a better game, after thousands of hours on CMBO/BB/AK I was really looking forward to the extra features x2 provided, but I am finding it plays worse - have you not placed your infantry on the crest of a hill yet? Why do they line up perfectly with a low wall but not the crest of a hill? Why will a keyholed, unmoving, StuG buttoned, unbuttoned, not panicked or anything, spend 5 minutes not spotting that T34, just to have the said buttoned engaged T34 suddenly spot you and take you out... or like my pixeltruppen didnt take the 15 minutes they were unengaged in cover to reload, so when the time comes to ambush someone they fire the one round from LMG/SMG whatever, then pause to reload - and get taken out...

- my list could be endless, but i dont have the time to prove everything, so ill wait until things improve
01-29-2016, 08:20 AM,
(01-28-2016, 08:36 AM)weapon2010 Wrote: Raz, that's my point, nothing has changed since he started the tourney, there are no "new issues", and all the games are the same, CMRT doesn't have any "additional issues" apart from other games.

Lots has changed - when I started the tourney I had only played a couple quick games with a mate - since then I have played a few more, initially when things went screwy I put it down to me being noob with the game, now I am more experienced - from what GAZNZ has told me about BS, the spotting rules there appear to be different, but i'll let him explain that
01-29-2016, 09:06 AM,
(01-29-2016, 08:20 AM)Tripps Wrote:
(01-28-2016, 08:36 AM)weapon2010 Wrote: Raz, that's my point, nothing has changed since he started the tourney, there are no "new issues", and all the games are the same, CMRT doesn't have any "additional issues" apart from other games.

Lots has changed - when I started the tourney I had only played a couple quick games with a mate - since then I have played a few more, initially when things went screwy I put it down to me being noob with the game, now I am more experienced - from what GAZNZ has told me about BS, the spotting rules there appear to be different, but i'll let him explain that

Regardless it's still arguably the best military sim/game engine available in the public domain.
01-29-2016, 09:23 AM,
How many CMX2 games have you played? vs CMX1?
01-29-2016, 10:56 AM,
(01-29-2016, 09:06 AM)Lond0ner Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 08:20 AM)Tripps Wrote:

Regardless it's still arguably the best military sim/game engine available in the public domain.

I would argue "one of" rather than "the" - but thats besides the point