• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

movie 'FURY' with Brad Pitt
11-16-2014, 11:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2014, 12:07 AM by Westland.)
RE: movie 'FURY' with Brad Pitt
To the Movie Trailer-My Honor Was Loyalty

The singing of the Germany anthem should have been done with proper german accent.The singing was awful.
And a film from Italy about the Waffen SS?How bizarre.Italy has betrayed Germany in 1943 and changed to the Allied.
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2014, 05:47 AM,
Hi Westland,

guess many Italians love us anyway.
You can throughout Europe symbols of the III. Find empire. I saw Toy with German symbols in Greece and medals and badges in public
in Bulgaria. Certain symbols are in England and the United States no problem, I will not at all talking about the Ukraine. Probably the Italians can such a movie
rotate without moral problems. My blessings they have.

Peter
Send this user an email
02-23-2015, 05:09 AM,
Incidentally (sp?), I am just reading Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II, and there during the action against Siegfried line he describes a scene exactly as the Fury ending.

Maybe there was not such a determined attack against a single disabled tank, but on a high level, it was right as in the movie.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-12-2015, 12:19 AM,
"Is there a difference between fire bombing cities & rounding up Jewish civilians & shooting them at the edge of a pit?"

A: Small difference. The father of my high school best friend served as a bombardier over Germany, and he was a quiet man, to put it kindly. His unwillingness to talk about it quelled some of my youthful enthusiasm for war.

Did a bit of research and paper writing many years later, that got me thinking about him. What a colossal, criminal waste of lives and treasure that was! British and American bomber forces suffered the highest casualties of any subset of Allied forces, and their true impact was not proportional. The old argument about destroying the Luftwaffe and diverting German resources to homeland air defense is weak. If we had let the cream of our manpower serve as leaders in the ground forces, rather than skimming them off to die in the bomber offensive; if we had turned that huge slice of our industrial capacity to bolstering the tactical air forces, building amphibious craft, and (perhaps) fielding better armor, we'd have been far more effective, far sooner, on the ground. That is to say, the opportunity cost for us was higher than the cost we imposed on Germany. The Luftwaffe would have come to the fight, and if that fight was over the battlefield and the interdiction corridors, we would have defeated them there.

The Oil Strategy in 1944 was the sole success of the entire 1942-45 campaign, and it came late in the game, because the strategists were fixated on the interwar theory that you could bomb a civilian population into submission (definitively proven false at the cost of a million or so lives), and the later belief that you could bomb industrial and military targets with sufficient precision to cripple them, at an acceptable cost. Both false premises. Our Brit allies were the worst - unwilling to accept the casualties of daylight "precision" bombing, they did all that they could do - area bombing of cities - with little effect other than the wholesale slaughter of civilians. And we learned from them and doubled down over Japan, where industry was strangled and the population already near starvation simply because of the air and submarine blockade of the home islands. But they were more the "Other" than the Germans had been, and it seemed dulce et decorum to burn their cities because of the savagery of their rulers and their warrior culture.

So, yes, a national policy of extermination of sub-populations under the government's control (your SS shooting Jews into the ditch) was significantly different and worse than what we did; but we should have known better, and behaved better. The victors write the history; and brave men followed orders and earned honor thereby; but we should be honest about it.Soap Box
08-16-2015, 12:57 AM,
Hi Friends,

Last year I posted the first trailer of this film. Here is the second. Unfortunately there is still no release date. The link leads directly to Facebook of production.

https://www.facebook.com/myhonorwasloyalty?fref=ts

regards Peter
Send this user an email
08-23-2015, 05:29 AM,
Regards to my German friends.

Having watched Fury, I enjoyed it for what it was.

The casual rape during their off time seemed a bit out of context, but it did show some equity in portraying US soldiers as just that, soldiers, capable of doing evil rather than waving the American flag.

Still, I often cringe at how Hollywood tends to portray the enemy one dimensionally.
Eventually you get someone like Tarantino involved who sets back international relations 50 years.

Eastwood's rendition of "Letters from Iwo" avoided that trap and IMO showed the reality, that most men, no matter the side, wish they were anywhere else.

I always enjoyed "Cross of Iron".
Not sure what it is about that movie, but it has always been a favorite of mine.
Perhaps it's my enjoyment watching Coburn tell Mason the truth about all officers?
Not all of course.

My apologies to any true Gentlemen in the blitz, but I had my share of run ins as a lowly petty officer in the Nav. I also had my share of excellent officers. It's pretty simple actually, if their first command is "follow me", we're good.
09-08-2015, 05:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015, 05:20 PM by fritzfarlig.)
apropos war movie I would recommend the Danish war film "April 9"
it shows the Danish army's attempt to stop the Germans
a little forgotten corner of World War 2 history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOpqfVlqmVo

a little extra (sorry in danish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjl2suwc0Bs
11-23-2015, 02:00 AM,
Hi Friends,

the link to News from the movie over the WWII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-CsJDz8...e=youtu.be.

regards Peter / panzerjaeger
Send this user an email
11-25-2015, 01:50 PM,
(11-23-2015, 02:00 AM)Panzerjäger Wrote: Hi Friends,

A few years back, there was talk about a film being made out of "The Forgotten Soldier", based on the book by that name by Guy Sajer. Paul Verhoeven was supposed to direct. However, the economic collapse of 2008 put the kibosh on that. Also, I don't think too many people were eager to see a film with a German soldier as the protagonist.

That's too bad, excellent book and would have made a good movie.
11-26-2015, 08:06 PM,
(11-23-2015, 02:00 AM)Panzerjäger Wrote: Hi Friends,

Thanks Peter

Looking forward to seeing what this is like as production values seems pretty high.

Speaking of foreign war movies any one seen this one about SS estonia Legion and if so any good?

Youtube Estonia 1944