• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update?
01-21-2020, 09:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2020, 10:24 AM by Wolfgang.)
RE: Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update?
I have to say I am still a fan of the side view for Vehicles (and Troops) and thus I was spurred on to look deeper into the issue and I've come to this conclusion:

In order to get back Side Views one of several routes exist:

1.) Use the original Vehicle side-view graphics file, then point all the newly added DAT file entries for Vehicles to one of the pre-existing, older graphics... However there may not be a good visual representation in the old files for some of the new vehicle entries and people may not agree on what the best substitute should be. Not a satisfactory solution. (And if the game does a checksum on DAT files to insure a level playing field in PBM play, it would not match the new official dat file and thus perhaps your opponent's top-down dat file) 

2.) Create a new Vehicles graphics file with all-side views - thus the Picture#'s wouldn't have to change in the .DAT file, we'd just drop in a new graphic file to replace the top-down view. <--- probably the best option.

3.) A combination of Side View for the older vehicle entries, combined with Top-down for the new vehicles, and some .DAT file modifications would probably still be needed. Again, not a satisfactory solution.

Unfortunately, I think #2 is the only viable option of the solutions I can identify. Unfortunate in that it's a big undertaking (unless someone can point me to a repository of side-view graphics I can use to create a mod).

If a side-view image gallery exists that is like the original, and there are no copyright issues, I'll mod the game and create that file.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Original Eagles Strike Graphics - by Compass Rose - 01-05-2020, 04:40 AM
RE: Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update? - by Wolfgang - 01-21-2020, 09:53 AM