• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dynamic flags
12-08-2006, 11:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2006, 01:32 AM by Soldier.)
RE: Dynamic flags
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2006, 02:57 PM,
If the attacker picks the flag it will work. (never played one) Defender sets up to defend all (normally. You don't want to have some worthless small flag on the map edge for the attacker to pick). Attacker picks objective and goes for it. If the defender knows that they are playing with dynamic flags, then the attacker must know that the defender knows. Then the diversions are needed and worthwhile. I would feel cheated defending useless flags after weeks of sending turns, but it's only a game. State the game details up front and play so there is no deception. Both sides should know dynamic flags are in play and play accordingly. Talk about sharks eating newbies. This would be a classic case if the the defending newbie didn't know about defending dynamic flags.
12-08-2006, 09:05 PM,
The great thing about dynamic flags is also the fact that when making a scenario designer can set the flags point from 100-2000 but he also needs to choose if the objective is chosen by ai or the attacker. IMO it should be always the attacker. This possibility to set the score for the flag is wehat I meant on the campaign idea post earlier. say team leade says to tourneymeister that the objective in this fight is to take and seize the falg in the deep end of the defended area. This would be worth 2000pts and on in a middle wold be 1000pts and the frontline of the first defensive line wuold be 500pts. Then tourneymeister could set up the scenario to have 2000pts dynamic flag and the teamleader would order the player of the scenario (attacker) choose the flag in the deep end of the defensive area. So it would be worth a lot but then again put the attacker into risk of loosing more men than attacking the frontline flag worth 500pts etc.

In custom scenario ofcourse the pts for the flag is controlled by the designer. And then its just up to the attacker to choose the objective.

BTW to choose the objective you need to choose a unit press spacebar to get the command "sheet" out and select activate flag and then click near the flag you want to be your objective.

In QBs dynamic flags are not possible, unless you have a QB map that has been set to have dynamic flags. The you need to play attack/defend battle to have it work properly. As if you ploay ME on it the computer will choose the objective and it will be same for both teams making it pretty stupid...except thinking having a very valuable target as the flag can be worth 2000pts the fight might be more aggressive compared to fighting over 300pts of large flag. You could sacrifice few valuable tanks in order to capture the flag instead of hold them back to save on the score when keeping them alive.

Cheers
LT
"Kornie"
12-09-2006, 12:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2006, 01:37 AM by Soldier.)
Thought I mention few more of the basics on "Dynamic Flags."
(1) Meeting engagements use Static Flags only.
(2) Dynamic Flags are not used in QB's.
(3) Dynamic Flags can be used only in custom scenarios, where allowed.
(4) Custom scenario designer can assign dynamic flags.
(5) In a H to H game, the attacker will pick his objective/dynamic flag.
(6) In a H to AI game (same scenario) AI assigns the objective/dynamic flag.

That's basically it.
If there's something else I failed to mention, please feel free to fill in.

BTW.. the custom scenario; "Sword Of Bagration-2P" is the best to try for those of you that haven't done a dynamic flag scenario yet.
I highly recommend it!
Quite a large scenario, but well worth the try.. :-)