• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Dynamic flags
12-07-2006, 02:08 PM,
Dynamic flags
So I've just played my first scenario that uses dynamic flags. First, it's a great variation on the game, putting more realism (fog of war) into the taking of territory. I think all attack-defend scenarios should use them. It would allow more use of feints and diversions, instead of the obvious clashes at the flags.

Second, we were both playing the scenario blind, and my opponent had no idea some of the flags were bogus, meaning his briefing gave him no hint. Is this always true? Should one's opponent be told that the flags are dynamic, so he has to guess which one you chose---which might simulate more of what happens on a real battlefield? Or should he not know that the flags are dynamic at all, and believe all to be real? Either way still throws intrigue into the game, but if not told at all he might feel cheated. How have others played it?

The scenario was HSG Dead of Winter, by the way, a great one.

Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2006, 10:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2006, 12:31 AM by Der Kuenstler.)
RE: Dynamic flags
(I edited this post of mine out, guys - my info was wrong - my bad...)
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
12-07-2006, 11:22 PM,
Never played with dynamic flags but have to say that i agree with Der Kuenstler, sounds a little strange to order an attack but say there's no real idea of what the objective is. :conf:

It may add a layer of mystery to the game, which is fine as long as both sides agree, but it's to unfluffy for me i think.

cheers
12-08-2006, 01:22 AM,
I have never played a scenario with dynamic flags, and it sounds interesting. Just to clarify though, was it the attacker or defender who did not which flags were real.

In a general attack situation, it seems to me that it makes more sense that the defender does not know which flags are real and which ones aren't, or possibly not even know that only some of the flags are real at all. Hopefully the attacker knows what his objectives really are, while the defender has to defend everywhere and hope he can interpret the attack correctly.

If it was the attacker, then I can only see where dynamic flags would work in some unusual situations. Say the objective is to the recover and/or capture something (or someone) that is being held in 1 of 3 locations. The actual location is the one with the real flag, but the attacker does not know this ahead of time. However in this type of situation, he shold know when he claims a flag whether it is the correct one or not.

12-08-2006, 03:55 AM,
12-08-2006, 05:24 AM,
"Kornie"
12-08-2006, 06:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2006, 06:44 AM by Soldier.)
Sorry gents, but you all seem to have the wrong impression on dynamic flags.. :-)
The attacker does always have a "clear objective." He is the one that chooses which of the two or three flags is his primary objective, etc. etc..
It is his opponent the defender that has no real idea, as to which sector of defended front (flag in our case) the attacker will really concentrate his forces on.
And that is what makes the game/battle that much more realistic.. :-)
12-08-2006, 07:06 AM,
Soldier, thanks for the clarification. I agree that does make much more sense. I suppose the scenario designer needs to take that into consideration when he develops the defenders forces, though. If the defender has to defend multiple flags, but the attacker can concentrate his force on one, he would need a stronger force overall.

Of course it would depend on a lot of things like, how mobile are the defenders, can one postition support multiple flags, etc.

12-08-2006, 08:12 AM,
Yes, sorry, didn't make that clear in my first post: the attacker always chooses the flag that's real, and which ones are bogus. For my money, this is far more realistic, since the defender of territory never knows what the enemy is really going after, particularly in small battles. (Though some objectives, like large hills, would be obvious to both sides.) And in a real battle a defender is defending all his territory, which dynamic flags (in some sense) forces the defender to do.

So maybe this answers my original dilemma: that if the briefing does not tell the defender the scenario uses dynamic flags, there's no need for the attacker to inform him that only one flag will be real, since that gives away half the effect.
12-08-2006, 08:14 AM,
Yes, sorry, didn't make that clear in my first post: the attacker always chooses the flag that's real, and which ones are bogus. For my money, this is far more realistic, since the defender of territory never knows what the enemy is really going after, particularly in small battles. (Though some objectives, like large hills, would be obvious to both sides.) And in a real battle a defender is defending all his territory, which dynamic flags (in some sense) forces the defender to do.

So maybe this answers my original dilemma: that if the briefing does not tell the defender the scenario uses dynamic flags, there's no need for the attacker to inform him that only one flag will be real, since that gives away half the effect.