• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Forgotten Battles Tournament - ENDED - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Campaign Series (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Forum: Tournaments Area (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+---- Thread: Forgotten Battles Tournament - ENDED (/showthread.php?tid=66969)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Crossroads - 10-18-2015

Yes, sorry about that! Please download again from Scenario DB for a fixed scenario file.

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Big Ivan - 10-31-2015

Dan Caviness and I finished our "Higher Ground" scenario in the FB tourney.

I wheeled the Russian horde to a minor victory. Rifle3

I am ready for my next assignment but no hurry.

Cheers!

Ivan the Big (John) Cigar5

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Crossroads - 11-02-2015

(10-31-2015, 11:57 PM)Ivan The Big Wrote: Dan Caviness and I finished our "Higher Ground" scenario in the FB tourney.

I wheeled the Russian horde to a minor victory. Rifle3

I am ready for my next assignment but no hurry.

Cheers!

Ivan the Big (John) Cigar5

Good to know, thanks! I am traveling, will look at the new round as I return home for the weekend Salute

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Ed - 11-05-2015

ready for the next battle

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Crossroads - 11-22-2015

So who's still in the tournament? Can I have a show of hands please, so I can then have the next battles distributed.

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Big Ivan - 11-22-2015

Ivan the Big here ready for my next assignment! Cigar5

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - cplkrotz - 11-23-2015

I am here, but am still fighting a battle.

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Otto von Blotto - 11-23-2015

Still here and playing were are about half way though our restarted game, cplkrotz I'm back from my weekend away and will get a turn out to you later today.

Cheers
OvB

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - Otto von Blotto - 12-10-2015

Reporting a major win in on familiar ground cplkrotz Russians fought well but were out gunned by the unstoppable tide.

NB. Petri I think this one needs some balancing work to stiffen the Russians, as at the moment they are at a severe disadvantage.

Will be ready to start new game after the weekend.

RE: Forgotten Battles Tournament - cplkrotz - 12-11-2015

(12-10-2015, 07:12 PM)Otto von Blotto Wrote: Reporting a major win in on familiar ground cplkrotz Russians fought well but were out gunned by the unstoppable tide.

NB. Petri I think this one needs some balancing work to stiffen the Russians, as at the moment they are at a severe disadvantage.

Will be ready to start new game after the weekend.

This game was the second time around for us after discovering one of the bridges was impassable for the Russians. The Finns had a serious advantage of knowing what to do at the start, because this was a second play through and the Russians are on the defensive against vastly superior and well-equipped Finn units especially their multiple combat engineer units.

I do contest the major victory result. The Finns did have an advantage from the beginning because they knew the field and my defenses owing to the fact that this was the second time around (also considering that since the Russians are on defense and the initial Russian defense is limited, the scenario starts them at a disadvantage and makes the start of this scenario critical for the Russians). During our first play, the Finns did not get off to as good of a start as they did in the second scenario (in the second they totally delayed their attack in the northern peninsula where they committed way more troops and took heavier losses in the first game). If the bridge had not been impassable during the first game, the game would have been different (maybe not a victory for me), but maybe not a major victory for the Finns. I did comment about the advantage offered to my opponent almost immediately after the start of our second play through. I asked for terms, but none were offered. I saw no way of winning and wanted out of the game. Hence my objection to the major victory.

I am not sure how this second play through affected our perception of balance. I have played a few Lost Battles games and would note that in these games it was clear that one side was in a much better position than the other and the likelihood of their victory is almost assured.