• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
The Competition & Teaser Thread - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Panzer Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=280)
+--- Thread: The Competition & Teaser Thread (/showthread.php?tid=65518)

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - rzhev42 - 02-24-2014

(02-24-2014, 05:23 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Michael,

Had there been any plans to also include a very simple English version of all of that info that does not include all of the German and Russian terms?

Thanks

Compass,

The German terms like Kompanie, Batterie, Schwadron, Bataillon, are pretty straight forward as to their English counter parts. For terms like gepanzert, spah etc, there is a glossary in the back to explain what they are. We tend to use these German terms in the playing OOB so this will familiarize everyone to the terms. And there are not a whole lot of terms to understand.

As for the Russians, all the terms are in English. except for SU Which was the Russian term for Self Propelled Artillery units. That is in the Glossary.

Michael

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Compass Rose - 02-24-2014

(02-24-2014, 06:35 AM)rzhev42 Wrote: And there are not a whole lot of terms to understand.

Glad to hear it as I was starting to worry after I was reading through all of ComradeP's fix suggestions. Smile

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Strela - 02-24-2014

Hi All,

There is a new Version 2 of the Visual Order of Battle Guide available on the link below. This version is corrected for the terminology and other issues identified to date. Thanks Michael for the quick turn around and kudos to ComradeP for his thorough review.

The link is here;

Link to; Visual Order of Battle Guide

Please note the original post in this thread regarding the Guide is still valid. The link is consistent and doesn't change as new versions are uploaded. Please let us know of any further anomalies that you see so we can correct them before final publication.

David

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - ComradeP - 02-24-2014

A new day, more proof reading.

I overlooked the Umlaut for the bridging columns, but you corrected that one as well.

Note that I'm using the variant spelling for the words with Umlauts as my keyboard doesn't have an instant Umlaut function and I don't have a numpad for the numpad Umlaut command.

Almost forgot this important one: divisional artillery battalions (and Nebelwerfer battalions) were called Abteilungen just like independent units, so I. Abteilung X (or I/Abteilung X) instead of I./Bataillon X. There is some confusion as to what was "correct": I./Abteilung or I. Abteilung. The variants that seems to have been the most common were either a Roman numeral followed by a slash (I/) or a Roman numeral followed by a dot and no slash. (I.) before the unit name.

Page 2 and 21: To be 100% correct, "Cossack" should be "Kosaken".

Page 10: "Schwadron" is misspelled "Schwardron"

Page 16 and 17: Typo's in "Division".

Pages 2, 19 and 27: Sturmgeschuetz is misspelled for the formation and HQ names.

Page 25: Technically, it's not a Panzer Flamm Zug but an SPW Flamm Zug I believe, though I don't know the designation in the OOB. The unit uses SdKfz 251/16's instead of Panzer III Flamm's so they're not a tank unit. SPW would be APC for the glossary.

Page 33: ATR Rifle Company > ATR Company.

Page 35 and 42: AT Rifle Platoon>ATR Platoon.

Page 53: Typo in "1st Regimental AT Company".

The 1st Regimental AT Companies technically seem to be ATR companies as they don't seem to have any AT guns. However, it could very well be that the Soviets still called them AT companies.

Page 56:
-The "unit" or "troop"/"troops" after some of the terms is somewhat misleading in my opinion as the unit/troop would be indicated by the word following the German word. It's a matter of preference, but I personally prefer just a translation of the German term/abbreviation.
-Typo in "battalion" after "Bataillon".
-bridge column > bridging column. The verb "to bridge" isn't nearly the same in German for a bridge and bridging a river like in English (the Germans say ueberbruecken, over- bridging/building a bridge over something), but this is what is meant in English.
-Maybe "Cannon (Gun)" for K (like the Mortar (Howitzer)) as in English terms the equipment would sometimes be a cannon and sometimes a gun (the numerous K 18's would be called heavy guns, for example).

Not an error, just a remark:
-Stab technically translates to Staff, though in this case HQ is meant.

After the second stage of my breakfast, I'll see if I can spot anything else.

Edit: this seems to be it, although I may have overlooked something.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Xaver - 02-24-2014

I dont remember say thanks for the reply Strela, i dont know why i think in the panther as the PzB icon (well, i remember the Steel Panthers front and i allways identify Panther with SP)... ummm maybe Tiller games need a symbol or something similar to represent a serie, PzB could use a tank icon or something similar apart the game image...

Well i need say it, for a Kursk title a Panther D is more correct i am surprised ComradeP doesnt see it Helmet Wink

Woa, i think PzB is going to be the title with the most refined documentation Helmet Smile

(02-24-2014, 09:02 PM)Xaver Wrote: Well i need say it, for a Kursk title a Panther D is more correct i am surprised ComradeP doesnt see it Helmet Wink

It is a 'D', there is no radio operator MG....

ComradeP, Michael, will be here soon. Thank you for the review, we're getting closer to having it all correct.

David

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Xaver - 02-24-2014

Yep but cupola is an A or G model... i notice to the lack of MG bulge in the hull but apart D models the early A models with the modernized cupola dont have the MG in external mount in the hull and in Kursk only appear D models with the original cupola... the trash can Helmet Wink

[Image: kursk-2.jpg]

(02-24-2014, 10:34 PM)Xaver Wrote: Yep but cupola is an A or G model... i notice to the lack of MG bulge in the hull but apart D models the early A models with the modernized cupola dont have the MG in external mount in the hull and in Kursk only appear D models with the original cupola... the trash can Helmet Wink

Damn, I'm off to beat the artist....!!!!

David

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Xaver - 02-25-2014

If you need Mr DiCaprio phone number... but i think he is now breaking legs in Las Vegas, you know, piracy force him have a 2nd job Big Grin2

Strela, take it easy, some ice to reduce your Fiery beat people is bad, only hemo vampires beat people LMAO

[Image: cooldog.jpg]

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Outlaw Josey Wales - 02-25-2014

hahahahah Love the pic of the dog!