• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
The Competition & Teaser Thread - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Panzer Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=280)
+--- Thread: The Competition & Teaser Thread (/showthread.php?tid=65518)

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Gordons HQ - 01-07-2014

This is only a view on this new game from an old wargamer but here it is anyway and perhaps others agree.

Having started computer wargaming way back with John Tiller original East Front/West Front title series. I have then bought nearly all his games since then including the flops, The Total War in Europe series. I am however at a bit of a loss to find an incentive here to buy this one.
I mean the original Campaign Series game is the same platoon scale and in it's present version covers hundreds of scenario's with tank ranged battles on all fronts.
The graphics are old for sure but I don't see any great improvement with the rest of his series except for more color and the 3D graphics of new versions are still way behind the original game 3D.
I expect that the game is using the old PzC's/SB's game engine still and therefore there won't be too much new with this game.
OK I'm sounding a bit negative here but reading through all the above then are we to keep paying for the same old rehashes just to have the latest game.
I think it's high time a new game with a new game engine came out came out from JT Software.

I'm sure you are all now going to disagree with me and keep rattling out the same old praise of this marketing strategy from JT Software.

Well here's another yawn.

Grodon

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - jimcrowley - 01-07-2014

I am also an 'old' wargamer.

CS was a decent, fun game but definitely more a game than a simulation. Lightweight treatment of C&C and Arty spotting together with far too much happening in a turn - only six minutes - meant that many historically based scenarios had time limits of less than half of their real life counterparts.

So far, information on game mechanics is very limited but, for me at least, there will need to be more than a simple blend of old mechanics from SB and PzC; there will need to be some innovation.

The map graphics, at first pass at least, look excellent; a 2D map that has a 3D aspect. But I will reserve judgement until more information becomes available. I have high hopes because there is a real lack of games at this unit scale.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Outlaw Josey Wales - 01-08-2014

If it handles casualties like in PzCs, it will be better than your basic strength points. I like the additional details. I really like the look of the 2d relief map and think that should be patched into all of their games if they are not going to have 3d maps. Actually the 2d relief is better than 3d because you can see everything in the hex. Some 3d views, you lose sight of the road or trail and other stuff.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - PK Powers - 01-09-2014

Panzer Battles:KURSK

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Richie61 - 01-09-2014

Sorry if I am asking a question(s) already asked, but I am a Squad Battle guy Smile I am just trying to wrap my mind around this game?

The new graphic terrain looks just like the mobile Panzer Campaigns - Panzer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.johntillersoftware.pzc&hl=en

The units seem to be the same force sizes.
Example:
7 vehicles (77%)
Morale A
Movement
Fatigue 42

The screen shots do seem to zoom in more than the mobile screens, but please explain in more details to how Panzer Battles is different than Panzer Campaigns - Panzer?

I would guess that the PC will have better graphics, but aren't they basically the same game?

Also, I am guessing that units don't have a facing like in SB?

If so does this mean that units can attack and defend from any direction?

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Xaver - 01-09-2014

Well, i allways prefer see unit strenght in soldiers/tanks/guns/vehicles and this made for me PzB superior to CS BUT i need say to that Tiller PzC and other titles have a serious lack of info in the casualties part, you dont know how many tanks/other vehicles you lose, you only have a generic vehicles section when in CS you see the loses by unit type (i think this is a good add in PzB, be able to see the casualties by type in tanks and other vehicles for example and infantry by dismount infantry, motorized infantry, mech infantry...) and i allways think show in OOB the initial strenght is good to see how units suffer in combat.

I think we need see the game manual/FAQ and other info to know more about PzB or better, have the game in our hands to test it hehehehe.

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Richie61 - 01-10-2014

Does PB have leaders like Squad Battles or the LnL Band of Heroes titles to rally units?

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Compass Rose - 01-10-2014

(01-10-2014, 06:01 AM)Richie61 Wrote: Does PB have leaders like Squad Battles or the LnL Band of Heroes titles to rally units?

All I can say is that I hope the series doesn't allow the use of gas otherwise you'd be using that against my units all of the time, without warning! [Image: a6a68d42f6gas.gif] Whistle

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Richie61 - 01-10-2014

(01-10-2014, 07:39 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: All I can say is that I hope the series doesn't allow the use of gas otherwise you'd be using that against my units all of the time, without warning! [Image: a6a68d42f6gas.gif] Whistle

Big Laugh

The only way that could happen is if you still played PBEM games with me Jester

RE: The Competition & Teaser Thread - Compass Rose - 01-10-2014

(01-10-2014, 08:05 AM)Richie61 Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 07:39 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: All I can say is that I hope the series doesn't allow the use of gas otherwise you'd be using that against my units all of the time, without warning! [Image: a6a68d42f6gas.gif] Whistle

Big Laugh

The only way that could happen is if you still played PBEM games with me Jester

Dennis is paying me $5 a week not to play against you! Rolling Eyes