• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
COMBAT GALLERY - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Forum: CM Tactical Discussion (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: COMBAT GALLERY (/showthread.php?tid=43884)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: COMBAT GALLERY - PoorOldSpike - 06-27-2008

The Academy (below) was the key to Stndrtnfhr's victory, I committed 6x PzIVH's to its defence but after prolonged bitter fighting they were unable to stem his advance, he killed them all then swept on to seize the airfield..
9 blue X's mark wrecked PzIVH's and 3 red X's mark a destroyed ISU-152 (foreground) and 2x T-34/85's at head of valley on right..
[Image: Stn-endb-1.gif]

My Stalins and 34/85's have been bitterly fighting for every inch of ground for most of the game in the face of fierce resistance by GAZ NZ's German gun-heavy defence. X's mark wrecked guns and tanks. The two ringed 34/85's are about to do a right hook..
[Image: Gazddd.gif]

They hook around the main line of resistance in an attempt to break the deadlock and take out a Grille that has been shelling my Russian infantry..
[Image: Gazaa.gif]

Close-up..
[Image: Gazz.gif]

Then this gun (circled) knocks out the 2 x T-34's..
[Image: Gazax.gif]

Major Battle in the Forest.
At first my Russian infantry met with only token resistance (x's=destroyed German units) and swept confidently through 2054172's flag outpost with their jubilant eyes set firmly upon the rich prize of the airfield in background..
[Image: two-endc.gif]

Major contact! The Russians encounter the German main line of resistance and are stopped in their tracks as a hail of lead rips through the trees shredding the foliage and upsetting nesting birds..
[Image: two-endd.gif]

1- A schreck opens up on my T-34/85 and armoured car, while at the same time the ominous sound of approaching tank engines is heard at 2 (it turned out to be a Panther).
3- I reverse my T-34 and car away from the schreck.
4- I pull my men back to defend the flag outpost while telling them- "sorry boys, we just lost the airfield".
5- This Russian group are pinned by heavy small-arms and MG fire from across the clearing and I'm unable to extricate them..
[Image: two-ende.gif]

The endgame screen; despite all my efforts the flag stays neutral and 2054172 won the game..
(Thick white line marks final front line)
[Image: two-endf.gif]

Endgame view from the German side with arrows indicating 205's main counterattack thrusts that ended Russian hopes of conquest.. [Image: two-endg.gif]

An endgame shot with trees toggled on to give an idea of the claustrophobic nature of forest battles..
[Image: two-endtree.gif]

RE: COMBAT GALLERY - Chipmunk - 06-27-2008

Re post 130, don't you generally stay clear of purchasing turretless AFVs like SU-100s?

The SU-100 is an awesome beast, fast, deadly, well-armoured, but like all turretless machines is a sitting duck if caught in the side or rear because it can't pivot in time to bring its gun to bear.
Despite this handicap turretless AFV's form a useful contingent of an armoured force, mixed in with tanks..

Blitz member Das Tiger inspects an SU-100..
[Image: SU.jpg]

These two charts from the 'Tank Gunnery' thread in the Tac Discussion area show the SU-100 hits harder than the Panther and Tiger..
[Image: penet4.png]

[Image: penet1.png]

PS- here's a screenshot from an ongoing game showing how I've got my 5 x SU-100's leading, with the 6 x T-34/85's behind. The SU has got the best front armour so it makes sense to let it lead the advance in this situation because I know all the enemy panzers are directly to the front. Sure, a gun or schreck might suddenly pop up on their flanks but that's the risk you have to take; at least the T-34's are up there with them ready to quickly swivel their turrets to meet any threats from the sides..
[Image: su-ld.gif]

Bert Blitzkrieg's Russians overun the hills outpost.
An earlier violent tank action left 2x Hetzers, 3x T-34/85's and a couple of halftracks dead (X's),and as Russian infantry begins closing in I reverse my last Hetzer to safety (purple arrow), reluctantly leaving the final surviving squad of the German garrison to his fate..
[Image: BB-ovrun.gif]

As the reversing Hetzer calls it a day, the Russians storm the position with a Company Commander leading from the front..
[Image: BB-ovrunb.gif]

Mangus's Stalin struts around making threatening gestures towards the club, so my Hetzer waltzes up and puts two slugs into him and he goes down like a skateboarding faceplanter in a Youtube 'Extreme Accidents' vid without time to shoot back..
[Image: mangz.gif]

You bin owned boy....
[Image: mangx.gif]

RE: COMBAT GALLERY - PoorOldSpike - 06-28-2008

PIC 1 - My 3 x Shermans took up this excellent hulldown position to cover the village, but are confronted by several of DasTiger's Hetzers (and/or Stugs), and the shooting begins..
The leftmost Sherman is a VC Firefly but can't use it's sensational gun because it can't see the Hetzers because trees are in the way, so it's left to the 2 x 75mm Shers to return fire, but their hits just ricochet off the Hetzers.
Eventually the rightmost Sher chickens and slams into reverse (purple dotted line) but is cut down..
[Image: DTX.gif]

PIC 2 - The engagement as seen from the German side. (Extreme f.o.w possibly conceals the true identity of the 'Stugs')
[Image: DTY.gif]

Elltee's Sher 105 stops my infantry in their tracks..
After sprinting hard along open paved roads across half the map, they're brutally halted by this 105mm high-explosive shell just scant yards from the safety of a building..
(PS - the extreme fow says Sher 75 but I know from the thunderous roar it's really a (gulp) 105)
[Image: ElltZ.gif]

DasTigers German infantry make a bold dash for the church but are cut down by a hail of rifle fire from my Brit infantry occupying buildings on both sides of the square..
[Image: DTU.gif]