• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Not allowed to move into hex with invisible unit?
05-03-2024, 03:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2024, 04:29 PM by Liebchen.)
Thumbs_Down  Not allowed to move into hex with invisible unit?
I'm playing a game where either of two stacks of units could move into an adjacent hex. Terrain is suitable, ZOCs are not an (apparent) issue. The units all have their full movement allowances.

The game won't allow any of them to move into the hex because, "Cannon move into hex containing enemy units."

If there were hidden units there, I should see them, now that I'm adjacent to them. If they're blocking movement, I should be able to at least fire on them. But they're invisible - and apparently also impenetrable!

They can't move into a different empty hex because apparently the invisible unit is also exerting a ZOC that precludes ZOC-to-ZOC movement!

See the illustration. The woods hex next to the US infantry is apparently "occupied."

[Image: 2024-05-02_22h37_52.png]

It won't even let me assault the hex!
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2024, 11:17 PM,
RE: Not allowed to move into hex with invisible unit?
If this is Panzer Battles I have run into this, if your opponent has his units set for No Fire in the Assign Opportunity Fire menu under Command Menu his units won't fire and you can't spot them until they do. Different types of units can be set for different ranges.
05-04-2024, 02:08 AM,
(05-03-2024, 11:17 PM)krmiller Wrote: If this is Panzer Battles I have run into this, if your opponent has his units set for No Fire in the Assign Opportunity Fire menu under Command Menu his units won't fire and you can't spot them until they do. Different types of units can be set for different ranges.

This is Panzer Campaigns. Visibility is 4.

I've never seen such a thing, in 20+ years of playing PC.
05-04-2024, 03:03 AM,
This appears to me to be a missing unit image in one of opposing game unit folders.  Not sure how to resolve this issue.  Which PzC game is this and the scenario?  Have you been using modified unit images other than the default from the game install?
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-04-2024, 03:10 AM,
But Brian, if the unit image is missing, would not the unit still be in the hex as far as the game is concerned even if the counter and icon were all missing?  And therefore wouldn't the Claude Rains Battalion be assault-able?

In PzC there are no "hidden Units" - units that are out of LOS only and when adjacent to them you will always spot them. 

I'd send the file off to the WDS Help Desk and ask them to look at it, something is seriously amiss.
05-04-2024, 03:20 AM,
This is not a case of a hidden unit. The unit image is just missing. Seen this before in testing new titles and updates.

Paul, you are correct that Liebchen should be able to attack the unit. This would be tricky since he has not idea what he is up against. Fire or assault one the hex would only tell him the unit type or types such as enemy casualties of men, vehicles or guns. This would not be much good though in HTH play to identify strength, whether the vehicles (if encountered are hard or soft and number of counters in the hex and their approximate sizes.

I asked for more information about the game title and scenario. Not much to go on so far except the problem is on Liebchen's game and not on his opponent's game. A bit of an assumption on my part, but not too much of a stretch I think.
WDS could possibly sort this out with a saved game file.
- Wyatt Earp
05-04-2024, 03:24 AM,
(05-04-2024, 03:20 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: This is not a case of a hidden unit.  The unit image is just missing.  Seen this before in testing new titles and updates.

Paul, you are correct that Liebchen should be able to attack the unit.  This would be tricky since he has not idea what he is up against.  Fire or assault one the hex would only tell him the unit type or types such as enemy casualties of men, vehicles or guns.  This would not be much good though in HTH play to identify strength, whether the vehicles (if encountered are hard or soft and number of counters in the hex and their approximate sizes.

I asked for more information about the game title and scenario.  Not much to go on so far except the problem is on Liebchen's game and not on his opponent's game.  A bit of an assumption on my part, but not too much of a stretch I think. 
WDS could possibly sort this out with a saved game file.

As Paul reiterated, I cannot even assault the "Claude Rains" unit. Ergo, there is actually no unit there.
05-04-2024, 03:47 AM,
Well send a game file to me by PM or email with the game & scenario title name and I will look into it.
- Wyatt Earp