• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How do i crack this nut? (Bulge '44 Getting Started Scenerio)
04-29-2024, 04:03 AM,
RE: How do i crack this nut? (Bulge '44 Getting Started Scenerio)
(04-25-2024, 06:53 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: It is sometimes overlooked that points for your opponents casualties are as important as the points awarded for vp locations/exit hex’s, I have had opponents fight to the death to hold vp hex’s and up losing in losses more points than the vp hex was worth, it would seem that in this scenario can be like that.

Yup. 100% me. Literally KILLING MYSELF by isolating MYSELF to reach the exit hex or letting 1,000 troops die just so that i can get a measly 50 VP point hex. Who’d a thunk that losing 150 points in men and machines is a non-winner? lol Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2024, 04:07 AM,
(04-25-2024, 01:24 PM)Lethal Wrote:
(04-25-2024, 06:53 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: It is sometimes overlooked that points for your opponents casualties are as important as the points awarded for vp locations/exit hex’s, I have had opponents fight to the death to hold vp hex’s and up losing in losses more points than the vp hex was worth, it would seem that in this scenario can be like that.

excellent point!

Yup. I’m just dying a slow death in one area, yelling at my screen for the scenario to end so my men can stop dying inside a VP hex while at the same time BEGGING for one more turn to win a VP hex in another corner. Ugh. Thank you ALL for explaining the error i’ve been doing
04-29-2024, 04:12 AM,
(04-26-2024, 04:06 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: In the past I have been guilty of this myself, but over time you learn when on defence there is a balance to be struck between giving ground and losing men/guns/vehicles.

Unfortunately the older titles designers didn't have the option of expiring VP hex's feature which is a excellent way for a designer to reward a fighting withdrawal and encourage players not to opt for the "no retreat" strategy as once the vp location has expired you can give up the hex freely.

Yeah but since i’m new to the hobby (former tabletop guy who came to sense) i like that there are different aspects to different games during the “same” scenarios. Just like real combat, walks in the park end up disasters and suicide missions come out as victories. There are no guarantees in battle and i like that the changes in games is in itself an accidental recreation of crazy variables in war.
04-29-2024, 04:15 AM,
(04-27-2024, 06:32 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Indeed I have had some opponents be quite indignant when they have lost a game having held most of the vp locations, but to do so they threw everything into the front line including HQ units and artillery batteries, some loaded hex’s with so many units they could not retreat after losing an assault incurring even more losses and allowed units to be surrounded as it bought time having them eliminated, just about anything other than give ground.  Wink

Have you secretly been watching my dumbass play from behind my shoulder? 😂
04-29-2024, 04:24 AM,
(04-28-2024, 12:15 AM)Al Wrote: That's why these games are so great.  They encourage and reward the player to use sound military principles.  In this case one of Clausewitz's 9 Principles of War - Economy of Force.

Gonna look into that. Are there any other resources called Military Moves For Dummies or something? 🤣 Like this is a classic Pincer Move. My mistake is not going for kills instead hunting for VPs which, in turn, is costing me TONS of VPs 🤦 

Here’s a cool-ish list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mi...d_concepts
04-29-2024, 05:39 AM,
(04-29-2024, 04:24 AM)tonyhernandez Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 12:15 AM)Al Wrote: That's why these games are so great.  They encourage and reward the player to use sound military principles.  In this case one of Clausewitz's 9 Principles of War - Economy of Force.

Gonna look into that. Are there any other resources called Military Moves For Dummies or something? 🤣 Like this is a classic Pincer Move. My mistake is not going for kills instead hunting for VPs which, in turn, is costing me TONS of VPs 🤦 

Here’s a cool-ish list

Here's a place you check out.  All free pdf downloads.

Research and Books Homepage (army.mil)
04-29-2024, 06:39 AM,
(04-29-2024, 05:39 AM)Al Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 04:24 AM)tonyhernandez Wrote:

Here’s a cool-ish list

Here's a place you check out.  All free pdf downloads.

Research and Books Homepage (army.mil)
Jaw. Dropped. WOW 🤯 Whatta resource(s)! A million-million thank yous to my TBR file 😊
04-29-2024, 10:45 AM,
Okay guys,

I figured out the problem: i suck.

I went after the sitting ducks in Schnee Eifel and only ended up with 95 VPs, about my average.

I just need to research battle and play more, i guess.

But i can leave the group with one final question:

I left 6 groups Broken (my most ever). Should i hunt down the B’s and take those final 100 troops? 

Maybe THAT’S my final hurdle Salute3
04-30-2024, 02:25 AM,
Slowly but surely. No wonder soccer-football fans lose their tits over a draw. After getting punched in peen by American GIs in Ardennes 2, the criminality of a tie feels like a win!

.png   Screenshot 2024-04-29 09.05.19.png (Size: 389.41 KB / Downloads: 7)
05-03-2024, 05:35 AM,
(04-25-2024, 04:13 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 09:01 AM)tonyhernandez Wrote: Here's what i'm looking at. Historically, the Golden Lions lose but as the Axis player i get DESTROYED. And this is just the Getting Started scenario!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3xqvh286rle9r...er183&dl=0

I put the four VPs in stars (the top left gives you VPs if you leave the board). The blue line is where the image at the end of this message ends, the historical way.

I also have the Fixed Units on as you can see by the yellow squares.

My inclination is to go around the Schnee Eifel even though history says to go straight at it.

How do you beat this scenario? One of the trickiest things is moving then setting up artillery in a timely manner. 14 turns is QUICK. I can't even imagine having one unit reach Amel (Ambleve)!

WHAT DO I DO?!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jg1bsnobn...ee79y&dl=0

The historic advance took four days to get to the positions shown in your reference, and three days to get to the edge of the game map.

The historic map also suggests that they went around the ridge, following the roads, and not right through the ridge.

This would be a better game approach, as well. I played a quick and sloppy game against the A/I just now, and focused on causing casualties more than on taking objectives, and I got a major win before end game.

[Image: 2024-04-24_11h02_48.png]

How do i replicate your murderous ways! lol For example, let's say i have a two-stack on infantry. Do you shoot first AND THEN attack? But then you risk getting DISRUPTED.

Of course i know there is no one sentence answer. Elevation, what type of Artillery, etc. I wish there was a guide. Do you know of any tips or suggestion posts or videos? I'm getting better but it is slow going.