• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Happy holiday celebrations.
12-28-2023, 03:25 AM,
Happy holiday celebrations.
Hoping everyone had a great Christmas. Wishing the best for the new Year. Really, though I wanted to just say, if you can avoid it don't get a Prostatectomy (prostate reduction surgery). Risking making this seem like an old man's topic. I don't have another  source to vent how painful the recovery is (even using pain medication) Constant bladder spasm's for ten days after surgery. It has been quite the experience and i thought recovering from my back surgery (pain level) could not be topped, well I was wrong. The surgery was my Christmas present (must have been bad this year lol).

Anyway thank for your patience best wishes to all.

Phillip
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2023, 06:36 AM,
RE: Happy holiday celebrations.
Hang in there Phil and best of luck with that whole issue!!

I had mine in February 2016 and I didn't go through any pain like your experiencing. Of course I had robotic surgery removal where they go in through 9 holes or so in your lower belly. You are out cold and I understand inverted with head pointing towards the floor. ["With anesthesia you can get anybody to do anything!"] 

They gave me Percocet (Geez I could move again like I was 18) some blue pill that I can't remember what it did and an antibiotic. I was moving around about 85-90% in 30 hours. I only had a 1 night stay in the hospital and no wicked pain! 
The catheter stayed in for a week and daily they wanted me to measure my output. The worst thing one can do is tell an engineer like me to measure something with a degree of certainty. They got 2 decimal places and looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears!! I had fun with that issue. 

Too much information? I know! But for all the young guys hanging around here, I want them to know what they might be in for when they hit their 60's!

Take care Phil and good luck going forward. God Bless!! Smile

John (Big Ivan) Cigar5
12-28-2023, 06:55 AM,
Feel better, Phil. Sorry you have to go through all of that, especially at this time of year.

John, you lost me at catheter. Yikes

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
12-28-2023, 07:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 08:07 AM by zap.)
Chop Wood Chop Wood Dr. was an expert
12-28-2023, 07:53 AM,
HI John thanks,

Same procedure as you. It will get better in 10 days when catheter is removed. The catheter being introduced into the bladder has caused the spasms. I was in hospital two days after procedure had to wait for the intestines to awaken (anesthesia puts them to sleep.) without being gross once I farted they cleared me to go home.
I tried manning up without medication. I was crying and moaning like a sick dog with the pain. Got smart took the pain meds. They gave me two types oxycodone works best but not completely. Seems, what causes the pain is too much liquid at one time trying to flow through the catheter tube.

THanks for letting me spew, promise guys I'm done got this off my chest.
12-28-2023, 07:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-28-2023, 08:00 AM by zap.)
Thanks David, when i chose to do it ,no way, did i realize recovery would be as involved. hope your Christmas was good. Positive note I lost 8 pounds.
12-28-2023, 08:13 AM,
(12-28-2023, 03:25 AM)zap Wrote: Hoping everyone had a great Christmas. Wishing the best for the new Year. Really, though I wanted to just say, if you can avoid it don't get a Prostatectomy (prostate reduction surgery). Risking making this seem like an old man's topic. I don't have another  source to vent how painful the recovery is (even using pain medication) Constant bladder spasm's for ten days after surgery. It has been quite the experience and i thought recovering from my back surgery (pain level) could not be topped, well I was wrong. The surgery was my Christmas present (must have been bad this year lol).

Anyway thank for your patience best wishes to all.

Phillip

Been there done that...I struggled for like 3 months with over active bladder and low flow. Finally had to be rotor rooted again because of scare tissue....I have to agree with you knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it again..........

Anyway Happy New Year  Smile
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
12-28-2023, 11:49 PM,
I did get the prostrate exam, then the invasive procedure where they remove samples from the prostrate.
I was relived when it was over, had some difficult days after that that I won't soon forget.
So I can have sympathy for you, chin up and good luck.
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,
12-29-2023, 05:55 AM,
(12-28-2023, 11:49 PM)Oldbones Wrote: I did get the prostrate exam, then the invasive procedure  where they remove samples from the prostrate.
I was relived when it was over, had some difficult days after that that I won't soon forget.
So I can have sympathy  for you, chin up and good luck.

Yes, that too. They did yours to eliminate possible cancer, right? Mine was negative, so was yours? Usually that is when the Dr. tells you that yes, your cancer free but your prostrate is a 100% larger then what it is supposed to be and when he warmly recommends the reduction. I said, I think I can wait( its not causing major problems). He reminds you that your 70 it wont get easier with time. Alas, there you go operation time.
12-29-2023, 10:01 PM,
Yes, I am cancer free, doc explained that all men as they age will have it, starting from 45 years old, it's the fact that we are living longer, more ailments.
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,