• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Map Mod
10-18-2023, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2024, 11:46 PM by bigus.)
Map Mod
Here is a 2D/3D map mod for EF, WF and RS.
This one has been in my back pocket for a while. Using bits and pieces from my other mods.
I did not alter Desert terrain.

Use JSGME to install.

Version 1.4: Added Snow terrain. Revised cities.

Ver 1.4:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r460tfj09...59fma&dl=0

[Image: CS1.png]

[Image: CS2.png]

[Image: CS3.png]
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2023, 03:15 PM,
RE: Map Mod
Nice job!
Send this user an email
10-19-2023, 07:43 AM,
(10-18-2023, 03:15 PM)Jason Petho Wrote: Nice job!

Thanks.
I never could figure out the shading for 4D and 5D. I'm not sure if that was a hard coded issue or not.
I kind of gave up on it.
02-27-2024, 03:40 AM,
Hmm, that's a good question. 

I don't think they would be hardcoded. That sounds like a question for Crossroads!
Send this user an email
03-05-2024, 05:23 PM,
Do you mean the shadow mesh pattern shadowing? Those should be the Gray[2/3/4]d.bmp files.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-06-2024, 09:00 AM,
(03-05-2024, 05:23 PM)Crossroads Wrote: Do you mean the shadow mesh pattern shadowing? Those should be the Gray[2/3/4]d.bmp files.

Yes the Gray3D files.

With Contours on (hexsides off) I get this. Hopefully the pictures turn out o.k.
This applies to Vietnam as well if you have hex highlights set to hex shading.
I can't figure this out.

Gray 3D is fine

[Image: shading1.png]

But starting with Gray4D I start to get white textures bleeding through.

[Image: shading2.png]

Gets worse with Gray5D

[Image: shading3.png]
03-16-2024, 04:13 PM,
Hi Bigus, terribly sorry about my late reply. I think I know what's going on, it's likely about the resize algorithm you use when scaling your 3d sized originals to smaller zoom levels.

You need to use an algorithm that does not blur the outlines, like most all algorithms do. Corel PSP calls the proper resize algorithm "Pixel Resize". With GIMP it is (or at least was, I use an older version) Interpolation: None.

What these resize algorithms do they do not change any pixel colours from their originals. When you resize, if you have an edge with sharp black shape with white background, they do not create a gray blur there, but keep the edge pixel colours original. Usually you want the blur for a nicer end effect when scaling to smaller images, but here it creates these edges.

The game engine picks the transparency background colour from image position 0,0 and if you have pure white as background, no part of image where this pure white exists is drawn. But if that pure white changes its RGB (255,255,255) (or HEX #FFFFFF if you prefer hex) code even by one, it is now drawn.

I hope I was able to make sense. This colour bleed has cursed us all at some stage before figuring out what's going on.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-17-2024, 11:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2024, 11:32 PM by bigus.)
(03-16-2024, 04:13 PM)Crossroads Wrote: Hi Bigus, terribly sorry about my late reply. I think I know what's going on, it's likely about the resize algorithm you use when scaling your 3d sized originals to smaller zoom levels.

You need to use an algorithm that does not blur the outlines, like most all algorithms do. Corel PSP calls the proper resize algorithm "Pixel Resize". With GIMP it is (or at least was, I use an older version) Interpolation: None.

What these resize algorithms do they do not change any pixel colours from their originals. When you resize, if you have an edge with sharp black shape with white background, they do not create a gray blur there, but keep the edge pixel colours original. Usually you want the blur for a nicer end effect when scaling to smaller images, but here it creates these edges.

The game engine picks the transparency background colour from image position 0,0 and if you have pure white as background, no part of image where this pure white exists is drawn. But if that pure white changes its RGB (255,255,255)  (or HEX #FFFFFF if you prefer hex) code even by one, it is now drawn. 

I hope I was able to make sense. This colour bleed has cursed us all at some stage before figuring out what's going on.

No problem Crossroads, thanks for the reply.
For the shading I'm talking about only the Gray4D and 5D files. The Gray 3D is fine. The pics shown were basically using 
stock Gray files with my mod. I'm almost positive I don't have texture or pixel blur from my 4D and 5D ground files. Again, this is only really noticeable with hexsides off. Here are some pictures that hopefully explains better.
My main point of all of this is that I can't get rid of the white pixels bleeding through on the shading Gray4D and Gray5D files.

Here are my 4D and 5D land pics. No noticeable pixels bleeding through.
4D
[Image: 2nd%20level.png]

5D
[Image: 3rd%20level.png]

Here is the stock games files with no modification 4D:
[Image: stock1.png]

5D:
[Image: stock2.png]

And finally stock Vietnam with shading option. Present in Vietnam as well. I'm not sure about Middle East.

[Image: stock3.png]

[Image: stock4.png]
03-18-2024, 12:51 AM,
Hmm, those color bleeds should not be there. I am traveling until next weekend, I will have a closer look at this then. Thanks for bringing this up.
Visit us at CSLegion.com