• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Shader Glass
07-29-2023, 05:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 08:09 PM by Sean.)
Shader Glass
In a lot of my PC Games I use something called Reshade to change the graphics a bit.
It allows changing of colour/bloom/depth of field/fisheye view/chromatic aberration and similar fun graphical treats.
In the WDS/JTS games howver Reshade does not work.
Reshade needs Direct X 9/10/11 or OpenGL games to work basically (all the new games since 2000 in general).
I wanted something that does similar for the graphics used in WDS games.
I have found it.

It is called ShaderGlass ,see

https://mausimus.itch.io/shaderglass

You can make the glass go full screen using CTRL SHIFT G at same time.
(when in full screen if you alt tab to your Shader Glass window you can press "m" for menu and then make adjustments on the fly -note that your game is visible thru the glass so you can see changes instantly , then press m again to close menu tab ,and then alt tab to game again.Sounds more complicated than it is.)

I suggest using the little window until you find a shader you like.

There is a menu at top of window screen.
Pick Shader pick NONE for starters.
Input PIXEL SIZE pick  x1.
Output SCALE pick 100%.
Output FRAME SKIP pick none (default is/2 ,I think none is better, no expert but in FPS game this seems to be smoother)

You can save the basic options ,choose save and then maybe create a folder in Documents(anywhere really) and call it BASIC ,then load that when you start the app. Makes it easier. Then as you make some variations you like ,save them with a catchy name ,like Cartoon1 or Blur 1 ,etc.

This app works pretty good for FPS games as well.
Note though that game must be in a WINDOW or more importantly ,for an FPS game for example in BORDERLESS WINDOW. Else the app does not work on TRUE FULLSCREEN.

Then just experiment to see if you like any of the SHADERS ,I would suggest look in this SHADER TAB for your first changes.
Not sure if 2 shaders can be operative at once.
Only played with it for 10 minutes.
When the app is operating a yellow border is shown on edges of windows screen ,even when GLASS is in small window. This is ,I assume to remind user that app is operative.
Thought other users of the WDS games might be interested.
Have not tried JTS Campaign Series yet.
It would probably work there too.
In case you want to turn it off ,assuming it is full screen then ALT F4 should exit the app.
((There is a more enhanced version of the app available on GitHub ,but I dont even know how to start it ,I am sure developer types might have more fun with that version maybe.)) I am sticking with the version I linked. Good enough for me.

Worth a look.

EDIT-
my 4th post gives some shaders I have tweaked for WDS games.
Maybe give it a whirl.
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2023, 05:51 PM,
RE: Shader Glass
I would suggest have a play with it on your Window Desktop.

That way you can see how the options work.

(It can be used as a magnifier too. There could be some benefit in just using it that way.)
07-30-2023, 01:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2023, 04:50 PM by Sean.)
Have not tried much on the WDS games yet.
I know it works though.
I play so many different games and have not yet really had the time to experiment.

I have been experimenting on a single FPS game though,where Reshade does not work called Plutonium IW5,reskin of Modern Warfare 3. Works pretty good ,game is in Borderless Fullscreen and I have tried variations of Denoise Slow Bilinear Shader (gives a dreammy water colour painting look) and some Cel shaders as well (that make the game look like a Cartoon Game -similar to the FPS Fallout Series.)
Another cool shader for FPS games is BLURS kawase glow ,this gives a depth of field bloom ,that for a single shader is quite impressive -(to do the same thing in Reshade I would need to be using at least a few different shaders).
08-16-2023, 08:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2023, 08:02 PM by Sean.)
I have had some more time to try shader glass on some WDS games.
I have only practised on Panzer Campaigns France 40 so far.
And I think I have some presets that work quite well.

I will link a file that you can use with Shader Glass.
I suggest making a folder in Documents ,calling it Shader Glass and placing my files there.
When you use ShaderGlass then you can load my files and see if you like any of them.

My current favourite is "denoise heavy but OK WDS".
Note I have also created a clear view shader that you can start with ,it basically makes the glass clear as normal ,I suggest using this until you want to load another shader that actually changes the view -this I have called "BASIC    start with    CLEAR VIEW".

Attached Files
.zip   a SEAN WDS SHADERS.zip (Size: 2.98 KB / Downloads: 4)
08-16-2023, 08:07 PM,
I am unsure how to take a screenshot using ShaderGlass ,since normal windows screenshots do not capture the glass overlay.
If I work out how to capture image ,I will post some screenshots in action with some WDS games.
It does work.

I would like some feedback if anyone has had a test with ShaderGlass ,even just on their desktop ,does not have to be in a WDS game by the way.
Also if someone tests ShaderGlass ,I would like some feedback about using my presets in a WDS game as well.
AS in you think the vanilla graphics are better ,or you really like the way the graphics looks a little different using the shaders available -whether the vanilla shaders in ShaderGlass OR my tweaked presets.
08-16-2023, 08:45 PM,
I have very briefly tested on John Tillers Campaign Series as well.
I have that game installed and thought the shaders did enhance the game a fair bit.
I found ShaderGlass works on that game and have some other presets that do suit that game.
If someone is interested I could post these as well.
I think Campaign Series Middle East and Vietnam will work also ,but yet to test them.

One thing I did do was test my Campaign Series ShaderGlass presets on some YouTube videos of Campaign Series Middle East ,cheating a bit ,save me re-installing the game. I thought I got a good result there ,at least on the Youtube video. Like I said I have not done this on the game itself though. I noticed with the 3D view in John Tillers Campaign Series ,and particularly in the Youtube Middle East test ,since my vanilla image was much more impressive to start with (compared to say WDS France40 in contrast) that ShaderGlass can really enhance the 3D Map image. With the 3D Images I think one of the preset shaders in ShaderGlass in the BLURS tab called KAWASE GLOW works really well, maybe needs some tweaking in PARAMETERS (which lets you set variables yourself with a preset).