• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How Would You Define 'Distrupted' ?
07-23-2023, 01:38 PM,
RE: How Would You Define 'Distrupted' ?
(07-23-2023, 01:13 PM)MisterMark Wrote:
(07-23-2023, 11:22 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I definitely like the rule. I  don't use it in every game but have probably played 10 or so games with it.

Nice... given what people say about how poor the AI is in longer scenarios, I'm going to probably engage that rule next time I square off against the computer.  

I wonder how the AI determines if it's going to assault or not when that rule is in effect?  The rule will make it harder for me but I'm thinking it might also hinder the AI as well.

Thoughts?

-Mark

I doubt there is any impact to the AI - I am not sure it accounts for disruption before assaulting anyway, etc.
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2023, 03:41 PM,
I love the Delayed Disruption Reporting rule. Not every opponent wants to use it, though.

For one thing, it makes you handle artillery more equitably, since you can't say, "Aha! Disrupted. Next target!"
07-24-2023, 09:08 AM,
I wonder what some of you guys with more experience think about how the DDR rule affects balance? It sounds like it would add a lot to the game, but it seems that 95+% of scenarios are not designed with it in mind, and that it would swing the balance unfairly towards the defender. I feel like explicit supply has a similar problem, that it's difficult to tell if a scenario is actually properly balanced with the given rule in play.
07-24-2023, 09:25 AM,
(07-24-2023, 09:08 AM)ShipwreckedFool Wrote: I wonder what some of you guys with more experience think about how the DDR rule affects balance? It sounds like it would add a lot to the game, but it seems that 95+% of scenarios are not designed with it in mind, and that it would swing the balance unfairly towards the defender. I feel like explicit supply has a similar problem, that it's difficult to tell if a scenario is actually properly balanced with the given rule in play.

I mostly play H2H, and I feel that the DDR rule does not affect game balance, so long as you are experienced enough. It may affect solo play, especially if there are expiring objectives.
07-24-2023, 09:49 AM,
(07-24-2023, 09:25 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(07-24-2023, 09:08 AM)ShipwreckedFool Wrote: I wonder what some of you guys with more experience think about how the DDR rule affects balance? It sounds like it would add a lot to the game, but it seems that 95+% of scenarios are not designed with it in mind, and that it would swing the balance unfairly towards the defender. I feel like explicit supply has a similar problem, that it's difficult to tell if a scenario is actually properly balanced with the given rule in play.

I mostly play H2H, and I feel that the DDR rule does not affect game balance, so long as you are experienced enough. It may affect solo play, especially if there are expiring objectives.

Interesting, I may have to give it a try then. Maybe in our next game. LOL
07-29-2023, 06:28 AM,
(07-19-2023, 01:38 PM)MisterMark Wrote: For instance we can all probably agree that in real life and within game, a 'broken' unit has no more will to fight and has lost combat effectiveness due to some combination of lack of leadership, man power, ammo and/or morale.  And in PzC that is evident and mathematically reflected by the reduction of the values of those specific variables.  

Actually Broken units do have some combat effectiveness. You can use them as manpower to help hold proteced hexes. They're good when stacked with an MG section in a protected hex. They don't have any zone of control so the flanks need to be protected. Also you can use Broken units to slow an enemy advace as the enemy must use MPs to brush the Broken units aside. 

jonny   Propeller Hat
08-01-2023, 05:59 AM,
(07-29-2023, 06:28 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 01:38 PM)MisterMark Wrote: For instance we can all probably agree that in real life and within game, a 'broken' unit has no more will to fight and has lost combat effectiveness due to some combination of lack of leadership, man power, ammo and/or morale.  And in PzC that is evident and mathematically reflected by the reduction of the values of those specific variables.  

Actually Broken units do have some combat effectiveness. You can use them as manpower to help hold proteced hexes. They're good when stacked with an MG section in a protected hex. They don't have any zone of control so the flanks need to be protected. Also you can use Broken units to slow an enemy advace as the enemy must use MPs to brush the Broken units aside. 

jonny   Propeller Hat

Jonny, ah yes that's a very good point!   I'm not sure I agree that a broken unit should have enough combat effectiveness to become such a pesky human road block and I've heard other complain about it too.  Nonetheless, 'them da rules' so it's wise to exploit the anomaly as you described. 

Would be interesting if an attack or assault on a broken unit would have some random chance (with an attack having a lower chance than an assault) of the unit just completely surrendering and being removed from the map even if there is a hex to retreat to.  As I understand it, full surrender can happen but I think only if some optional rule is in play and the unit can't retreat. 

-Mark
08-01-2023, 07:59 AM,
(08-01-2023, 05:59 AM)MisterMark Wrote:
(07-29-2023, 06:28 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:

jonny   Propeller Hat

Jonny, ah yes that's a very good point!   I'm not sure I agree that a broken unit should have enough combat effectiveness to become such a pesky human road block and I've heard other complain about it too.  Nonetheless, 'them da rules' so it's wise to exploit the anomaly as you described. 

Would be interesting if an attack or assault on a broken unit would have some random chance (with an attack having a lower chance than an assault) of the unit just completely surrendering and being removed from the map even if there is a hex to retreat to.  As I understand it, full surrender can happen but I think only if some optional rule is in play and the unit can't retreat. 

-Mark

Some assaults do lead to outrageous numbers of defensive losses already, and that's supposed to reflect surrendering troops.