• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Battle of Wolomin release
06-22-2023, 09:37 AM,
New Game  Battle of Wolomin release
Finally, a historical-based effort to satisfy your late-war tank battle desires! I was surprised
to find little to no scenarios based on this epic battle(s) outside Warsaw in the summer of 1944.

This wiki article sums up the scenario I created perfectly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Radzymin_(1944)
The Battle of Radzymin, also known as the Battle of Wolomin (the name I chose).

Here is the description of the scenario:
[Warsaw, Poland]:[H2][HIS][BZ]
By the end of July, 1944, the Russian Lublin-Brest offensive had brought their armies
to the outskirts of Warsaw. The plan to clear the Polish capital of Nazi forces would
involve a pincer movement composed of three tank corps of the 2nd Tank Army. 3rd
Tank Corps would swing northwest towards the crucial bridge at Zegrze, in an attempt
at turning the German left flank. 8th Guards Tank Corps would move in their wake,
securing the eastern approaches to the city. The 16th Tank Corps would move up and
along the east bank of the Vistula, targeting the southeast approaches.
But the Germans had their own plans. With the Soviet spearheads mere miles from
Zegrze, Field Marshal Model marshaled four understrength panzer divisions, from various
directions, and threw them into the area around Wolomin. On August 1st, elements of
the 19th Panzer division linked up with SS Wiking in the village of Okuniew, effectively
surrounding the 3rd Tank Corps. What followed was a desperate attempt by the other two
tank corps, moving up from the south, to relieve their trapped brothers in the area of
Radzymin and Wolomin. Although assisted by the 125th Rifle corps and the 6th Guards
Cavalry Corps, the Russians were unable to rescue the 3rd Tank Corps, it being effectively
destroyed as a combat unit.
This battle was, until that time, the largest tank battle fought on Polish soil. It also
coincided with the Warsaw uprising, which began on August 1st. These events had no
immediate bearing on the Wehrmachts operation to the east, and as such I've effectively
fixed the units in and around Warsaw city proper. Can the German player cut off and destroy
the 3rd Tank Corps? Can the Russian player rescue them and throw the Germans back into
Warsaw?

So, this is NOT THE OFFICIAL RELEASE but my first initial unofficial release. A bit more play-
testing to go, so if you'd like, download it, check it out, make suggestions, or join the upcoming
multi-player playtest game. The included text doc has the specs and various number statistics for 
each side. 

I didn't particularly design it as such, but this can be an excellent multi-player team game.
2 on 2.

One German player can take the panzer corps to the west (Hermann Goring Panzer and 19th
Panzer division_), and the other can take the panzer corps to the east (5th SS Wiking Panzer division,
4th Panzer Division, and a reinforced regiment of the 3rd SS Totenkopf panzer division).

The Russians can have one player playing the ultimately doomed 3rd Tank Corps, and probably the
14th Tank Corps moving up the Vistula. The other Russian player will have the powerful 8th
Guards Tank Corps, the 125th Motorized Rifle Corps, and the 6th Guards Cavalry Corps.

This scenario starts off like a firecracker, fire and action everywhere, a couple of turns before
the German link up, and then the scheisse really hits the fan. Fun stuff. Historical. Enjoy.

Tankertony>>>

Attached Files
.zip   Battle of Wolomin.zip (Size: 154.01 KB / Downloads: 17)
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2023, 11:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2023, 11:55 AM by zap.)
RE: Battle of Wolomin release
Excellent Tony!!  Turning out another scenario for our enjoyment. I appreciate your effort and dedication.
06-22-2023, 01:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2023, 11:56 PM by Big Ivan.)
Really Zap, I think it falls short !! 

One third to one half of the tanks for the Soviets should be T-34/85's !! 

Thoughts? Wink
06-23-2023, 02:49 AM,
The text document is pretty revealing and you did a nice job on that Tony. 

The battle or engagement has always been an interest of mine. The Soviets rolled up to the Vistula river and threw a couple of bridgeheads across it. One of the larger ones was at Magnuszew SE of Warsaw I believe. There the Germans were able to contain it for a time. That was around 8/8/44. Your scenario takes place before that by about a week if the date holds and it seems to be at another area of the front altogether.

It might be an interesting 2x2 team game for sure. I noticed the Soviets have a marked advantage in aircraft so German AA units will be important.

Thanks for the early look see Tony! Wink
06-23-2023, 07:04 AM,
(06-22-2023, 01:05 PM)Big Ivan Wrote: Really Zap, I think it falls short !! 

Thoughts? Wink

Hi John,
 My "Excellent" comment was an appreciation ,in a general sense for Tony's effort to produce a scenario.  Supporting  him seemed okay. I downloaded the scenario but did not open it as yet. If I read Tonys briefing right, he's looking for suggestions, so your insight and knowledge about the battle will help him better his scenario. Your input will be sought after by Tony, no doubt. Alas, I have no knowledge concerning the battle so I can offer no insights or opinions. I'll leave it to those qualified to help him. My contribution, (which I have done in the past) will be to help playtest and see how the scenario could be as balanced as possible. Considering the historical aspect of it. It may need some point adjustment.
06-23-2023, 09:28 AM,
(06-23-2023, 07:04 AM)zap Wrote:
(06-22-2023, 01:05 PM)Big Ivan Wrote: Really Zap, I think it falls short !! 

Thoughts? Wink

Hi John,
 My "Excellent" comment was an appreciation ,in a general sense for Tony's effort to produce a scenario.  Supporting  him seemed okay. I downloaded the scenario but did not open it as yet. If I read Tonys briefing right, he's looking for suggestions, so your insight and knowledge about the battle will help him better his scenario. Your input will be sought after by Tony, no doubt. Alas, I have no knowledge concerning the battle so I can offer no insights or opinions. I'll leave it to those qualified to help him. My contribution, (which I have done in the past) will be to help playtest and see how the scenario could be as balanced as possible. Considering the historical aspect of it. It may need some point adjustment.

Excellent zap and spoken very well! Right now I'm trying to figure out just how many T-34/85's may have been remotely available around that region of the battle. Right now I know that Russian industry was turning out about 40-50 tanks a day in that period. But that was all tanks/Tank Destroyers/Assault Guns. Just how many were T-34/85's is unclear yet. 

Fascinating research and historical review to make a scenario. To make it balanced is a whole other thing indeed. Time and love for the Campaign Series marches on!

Thanks Zap!!
06-23-2023, 10:05 AM,
(06-23-2023, 02:49 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: The text document is pretty revealing and you did a nice job on that Tony. 

The battle or engagement has always been an interest of mine. The Soviets rolled up to the Vistula river and threw a couple of bridgeheads across it. One of the larger ones was at Magnuszew SE of Warsaw I believe. There the Germans were able to contain it for a time. That was around 8/8/44. Your scenario takes place before that by about a week if the date holds and it seems to be at another area of the front altogether.

It might be an interesting 2x2 team game for sure. I noticed the Soviets have a marked advantage in aircraft so German AA units will be important.

Thanks for the early look see Tony! Wink

Yeah, as for the ultimate count of T-34/85's, I'm not sure. I went with the ORG provided by the game when inputting June or July 1944. I pretty much deployed the whole Corps - Division - Brigade depicted by the historical map and then went to work snipping it. To reflect the attrition of war. There seems to be a decent balance of all the primaries..T34/40, T34/m43, T34/85, SU-85, SU-152, IS-2.
 Plus the noted fact of 'understrength panzer divisions'. I hollowed them out real well. Practically shells of their former selves.
I did add a regiment of Tigers and IS-2 Stalins. Just for the fun of it. There are recorded accounts of them both participating in the battle. The scenario file name is tankfight.xxx after all. 

The beautiful map is dozens of hours using Google earth, plus historical info, photos, and maps. 

Please feel free to use it, or parts of it, for future scenarios. 

Tankertony>>>