• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy 44 - Nationalities Not Used?
06-17-2023, 02:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2023, 04:21 PM by MisterMark.)
Normandy 44 - Nationalities Not Used?
Been poking around the files for Normandy 44 and although the following nationalities have folders within the game file structure, there is no 'units.dat' file within the folders for the following nationalities:

Belgian
Commonwealth
East-German (Kriegsmarine)
Netherland
Polish

As I understand it, the 'units' file (usually can open with notepad) is the file that designates a particular units parameters/values if it's included in the OOB for a given scenario.

Based on that assumption, it seems these nationalities won't make an appearance or have a place in Normandy 44.  If that's true, then why are they even included? 

And if that assumption is incorrect, then why don't these nationalities have a 'units.dat' file within their folders like the other nationalities?

Much appreciated,

-Mark
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2023, 12:51 AM,
RE: Normandy 44 - Nationalities Not Used?
(06-17-2023, 02:23 PM)MisterMark Wrote: Been poking around the files for Normandy 44 and although the following nationalities have folders within the game file structure, there is no 'units.dat' file within the folders for the following nationalities:

Belgian
Commonwealth
East-German (Kriegsmarine)
Netherland
Polish

As I understand it, the 'units' file (usually can open with notepad) is the file that designates a particular units parameters/values if it's included in the OOB for a given scenario.

Based on that assumption, it seems these nationalities won't make an appearance or have a place in Normandy 44.  If that's true, then why are they even included? 

And if that assumption is incorrect, then why don't these nationalities have a 'units.dat' file within their folders like the other nationalities?

Much appreciated,

-Mark
While there may be no units.dat file for those nations there are units for those nations in the game. Belgian, Netherland and Kriegsmarine units are in the regular scenarios and Polish units are in Indragnir's Grand Campaign scenario available from the Blitz. I can not find any units listed as Commonwealth in the OOB's but I am sure that there must be some in one of the scenarios.
I hope that this helps.

Nick
06-18-2023, 08:28 AM,
Nick had that part! As to why there is no units.dat, I believe that simply means there base units weren't saved as a template when the oob was being worked on. I believe that is what populates it. Which could have been through a custom scenario that is now a part of the standard game. No idea really though.
[Image: exercise.png]
06-19-2023, 01:35 PM,
(06-18-2023, 08:28 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Nick had that part! As to why there is no units.dat, I believe that simply means there base units weren't saved as a template when the oob was being worked on. I believe that is what populates it. Which could have been through a custom scenario that is now a part of the standard game. No idea really though.

Ah, thanks for the clarification... unfortunately my OCD is still making me feel a bit unsettled about it.  Is there a way to manually make a unit.dat file for the nationalities missing it?  If so how? 

-Mark
06-20-2023, 01:22 AM,
So you can mess up OOBs by doing things in the editor accidentally, so I personally would be more unsettled trying anything. Although this part is safe, but if you do other things, you can change everything in our OOBs without meaning to.

Note that the impact is NOT to existing units unless you do something I will warn against further down - the units.dat is used when adding new units to an oob, when you pick a component, then it will auto populate the new unit's values based on what is in units.dat - but you can always add whatever values you want including component name and there is no impact to existing units. Again, units.dat values have no direct impact on existing values in the OOB, I can't emphasize that enough.

Anyway, to create a units.dat, you have two choices. You can copy one over from another nationality, but that will give that nation the same components to pick from as the other when adding new units. So for your concerns, this is not a good solution at all.

Or, edit each unit that already exists in the OOB, and there is a Save button on that unit. Click save and it will create a units.dat if one doesn't exist adding this component to it with the settings you gave it, or if existing it would overwrite the values already in there. So you will need to find each and every specific unit type/component in the OOB, edit it and save it.

But again, there is no impact to existing units when you do any of the above, unless in the OOB editor you click on Update values or Update strength after making changes. So avoid that unless you are working on your own OOB as that could cause massive changes.
[Image: exercise.png]