• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wanting opponents please!
03-19-2023, 01:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2023, 01:08 AM by Cupressus.)
RE: Wanting opponents please!
Some of my thoughts about "realistic approach to gameplay":

Since the game's balance is not perfect, my mind can come up with some tactical tricks, such as buying lots of cheap "jeeps" and using them as "suicide scouts" (e.g. for spotting enemy tanks). Although I think these tricks can be very effective for the end result, I do not want to use them because, in my opinion, they are unrealistic. While playing, I filter every decision through my knowledge of how it works in real life (with your help (answers), the knowledge is now more deep; thank you).
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2023, 01:30 AM,
Oddly enough, Soviet Doctrine did include the risking of units to be shot at in order for the Nato defenders to give away positions. I don't mean they just sat there waiting to be shot; I mean they advanced with their own version of Recon By Force. Since there were no real Nato vs Soviet battles during that time, its hard to save if the doctrine would have worked.

Instead of jeeps that cost a fair bit of points, why not buy individual scout teams and send them forward.

Another Soviet doctrine was mass conscription and human wave. You could have many conscripts defending back lines while experienced troops counter attack.

Of course, Nato Doctrine was almost the opposite.

Smaller, more well trained/equipped troop formations. High value placed on survive-ability on the individual soldier and their equipment. Which has the drawn back of high density of points per unit lost. Plus, in a Democracy, if the military is seen as just wasting the lives of their soldiers, the citizens back home would be in an up-roar.

I'm going to design and send the challenges soon. Just how ever long it takes me to make them.

Lets do an Probe. I'll take Blue, you can be Red (we can certainly switch for next time if you like).
03-19-2023, 01:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2023, 01:57 AM by naughtkris.)
Both are posted (i'll double check to make sure),

The password is "cup" for both.
03-19-2023, 03:13 AM,
This time, my preparation will take place before the purchase of units, so to make the next turn, I need a couple of days (2 or 3).

P.S.
Interesting info; thanks.
03-19-2023, 03:16 AM,
Take your time.
03-19-2023, 05:35 AM,
I checked both game save files:

"B vs R" -- I am for the Red side, as Defender, using Mix formations.

"R vs B" -- I am for the Blue side, as Defender, using Infantry Only formations.

Are these parameters set up as planned, or have you muddled something up?
03-19-2023, 06:59 AM,
If you will be creating new challenges, please write the name of the chosen map here (in the thread), as I do not want to load the save files multiple times; I will write about my reasons later.

P.S.
You can use the "Alt + Tab" hotkey to switch screens between the game and other programs (text editor, web browser, etc.).
03-20-2023, 03:02 AM,
the Infantry Only is a mistake. The game must have auto adjusted itself when I changed the sides of attack/defend.

I didn't see your msg about the map name till now. It was just easier for me to make and send a new game file.

Its there, same as last time, waiting.

We can do a quick round of me attacking you I guess, then we'll switch it up and you attack me.
03-22-2023, 05:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2023, 05:40 AM by Cupressus.)
In both battles, I finished turn #0.

Am I right in thinking that
Is the following schema correct?

Setting (you) -> #0 Purchase (me) -> #1 Purchase (you) -> #2 Placement (me) -> ...

About "loading save files multiple times":

A couple weeks ago, I found in the Slitherine forum some interesting info (I noted about it prior): "During PBEM++ game, downloading of turn multiple times is considered as cheating (sentence constructed by me)." I think this consideration is not actual for CMCW, as I think calculations of a turn's actions do not go at the same turn in CMCW. But for insurance, from now on, I prefer to finish every turn that I download. (I prefer to keep the number of game save files uploaded to server equal to the number of game save files downloaded from server).
03-22-2023, 05:47 AM,
I've bought and deployed my troops for both games. You should be able to do that now.

I don't know how to re-download a file. I'd like to, because there are a couple of matches that got interrupted and if I could resend the turn, maybe they'd start up again.

Now, I have had my computer crash several times while processing a turn. I can just restart the turn from the beginning. If I save the file, because I'll come back to finish it, I'll find the file in the first directory when bringing up saved games.

I'm not aware of any advantage someone can gain from downloading twice (if I knew how to do that), except maybe if they wanted to redo their turn in a different way, but once it's sent, its sent.