• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Discrepancy on the map of France '40?
01-16-2023, 05:18 AM,
My 2 Cents  Discrepancy on the map of France '40?
Playing one of the France '40 scenarios, namely 0510_03: Holding the Dyle Line, I noticed that a possible map error occurs both in the 2.03 Gold version and in the very recent and latest 4.02 version. In practice, between hexes 313:2 and 313:3 there should be a channel hexside but the channel breaks off right there. On the other hand there is the heavy bridge to cross it. Did none of the players ever notice? Furthermore, the alleged anomaly repeating itself through the various version updates would seem to be a precise choice of the designers but the logical reason (historically resulting?) is not seen. Probably the anomaly should be irrelevant for the outcome of the game but it is still a very strange thing.

Attached Files
.jpg   France_2.0 Gold.JPG (Size: 284.45 KB / Downloads: 21)
.jpg   France_4.02.JPG (Size: 294.93 KB / Downloads: 26)
"Alea iacta est" (Gaius Iulius Caesar)
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2023, 04:28 AM,
RE: Discrepancy on the map of France '40?
(01-16-2023, 05:18 AM)Cyrus Wrote: Playing one of the France '40 scenarios, namely 0510_03: Holding the Dyle Line, I noticed that a possible map error occurs both in the 2.03 Gold version and in the very recent and latest 4.02 version. In practice, between hexes 313:2 and 313:3 there should be a channel hexside but the channel breaks off right there. On the other hand there is the heavy bridge to cross it. Did none of the players ever notice? Furthermore, the alleged anomaly repeating itself through the various version updates would seem to be a precise choice of the designers but the logical reason (historically resulting?) is not seen. Probably the anomaly should be irrelevant for the outcome of the game but it is still a very strange thing.
It looks like the stream is on the left and then on the right is a canal. Does that matter? One is a natural waterway, the other man-made. jonny
01-30-2023, 05:00 AM,
(01-26-2023, 04:28 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(01-16-2023, 05:18 AM)Cyrus Wrote: Playing one of the France '40 scenarios, namely 0510_03: Holding the Dyle Line, I noticed that a possible map error occurs both in the 2.03 Gold version and in the very recent and latest 4.02 version. In practice, between hexes 313:2 and 313:3 there should be a channel hexside but the channel breaks off right there. On the other hand there is the heavy bridge to cross it. Did none of the players ever notice? Furthermore, the alleged anomaly repeating itself through the various version updates would seem to be a precise choice of the designers but the logical reason (historically resulting?) is not seen. Probably the anomaly should be irrelevant for the outcome of the game but it is still a very strange thing.
It looks like the stream is on the left and then on the right is a canal. Does that matter? One is a natural waterway, the other man-made. jonny

For me the error of the map is very evident, I think I have no doubts about it. Between the vertices of hexes 312;2 and 314;2 there is no canal or river or stream, the path is completely open but there is a heavy bridge. Also, the channel between hexes 313;3 and 314;2 does not join the stream immediately above it, it just stops there without any connection. I add more screenshots for greater clarity.
Cyrus

Attached Files
.jpg   France_40_map.JPG (Size: 445.78 KB / Downloads: 13)
.jpg   France_40_map_1.JPG (Size: 322.9 KB / Downloads: 11)
01-30-2023, 11:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 10:07 PM by Plain Ian.)
Yep its pretty clear from Google maps that there is a missing canal hexside.

Edit I removed the wrong map....oops.
01-31-2023, 05:28 AM,
(01-30-2023, 11:05 PM)Plain Ian Wrote: Yep its pretty clear from Google maps that there is a missing canal hexside.

The canal bridge is currently still intact and traffic is flowing.

Thanks and greetings to all.

Attached Files
.jpg   Gmap_Lommel_Neerpelt.JPG (Size: 115.6 KB / Downloads: 15)