• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Decisions, decisions
01-20-2023, 04:43 AM,
Feedback Needed  Decisions, decisions
This was posted over in the Panzer Battles forum by mistake Whistle , but the question still stands...

I'm looking over Tobruk '41 and Alamein '42, trying to decide which one I want to add to my collection right now.

Which one has a greater variety in scenarios: set piece vs maneuver battles; large vs small; short, medium, long in length? Any other measures of scenarios that I have not thought of. Is one or the other more popular with players on the Blitz?

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Mike
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2023, 05:44 AM,
RE: Decisions, decisions
Hi Mike,

Of the two titles I preferred the the scenario mix and the "feel" of Ea42, I can't put my finger on exactly what but T41 just didn't feel right in the way it depicted the events it portrayed, this was very disappointing for me because I really wanted to like it being super interested in the North African campaign, one T41 highlight I can point out is that Ed Williams and myself reworked both the Battleaxe and Brevity _Alt scenarios and after extensive testing we were very happy with the results in regards to PBEM games and thanks to Gold update these scenarios are now included in the scenario mix by default.

It is also worth noting that Ed Williams "Compass 40" campaign and smaller scenarios covering these events are also included in the Ea42 scenario mix after the Gold update and also this title covers the hypothetical invasion of Malta as well as the battle of Gazala and the events that came after that.

So if it were my choice I would go for Ea42, but of course that is just my opinion, other may disagree with me.  Wink
01-20-2023, 06:19 AM,
Hi Mike,

I know you inadvertently posted there in the Panzer Battles forum, but do have a look at PzB North Africa 1941. I am particularly proud of what was achieved with that title and it does a very good job of portraying the fighting of the era. The scale works very well for the size of battlefields, something that didn’t work as well in Tobruk ‘41, where similar scaled units (platoon etc) were used in 1 kilometre hexes vs the granularity of 250 meter hexes in PzB.

As far as the two PzC titles mentioned, I also would start with El Alamein ‘42 for the reasons mentioned by Mr Grumpy. Ultimately, if you like the desert, you will need them all…!
01-20-2023, 11:51 PM,
IMO, I'd cut the purse strings and get Tobruk, Alamein and Tunisia. If you cannot get them all at once, then get them all before looking at any other titles. If you are more interested in NA than the others.
01-21-2023, 04:33 AM,
I'd like to get all three, but just recently purchased Normandy '44, War Over the Middle East, Dien Bien Phu from SB, so have to limit myself just a bit.

I'm leaning toward EA '42 now based on the opinions I've seen here, and also because of the hypothetical Invasion of Malta scenario. I've been playing some Crete scenarios from Salerno '43, and would like to compare those scenarios with a hypothetical Malta drop.

Thanks to all for your input!
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949
01-21-2023, 07:03 AM,
El Alamein 42 has the most variances, it also includes the massive 360 turn Operation Compass scenario.

Here is a screen shot of turn two (using my up coming PzC counter, flag, unit box, screen and UI mod).

[Image: rUrGtSM.png]
01-22-2023, 03:01 AM,
Of the three I purchased first Tobruk because those are the battles I am interested the most, but for sure Alamein has a fantastic mix of scenarios, spanning from 1940 to 1942 and the Gazala battles are well balanced.