• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fixed Units - How Should They Be Managed?
01-08-2023, 05:52 AM,
Fixed Units - How Should They Be Managed?
Most Panzer Campaign game scenarios have fixed units.  They are placed in this state for a variety of reasons, and usually (but not always) have timed releases.

I have often wondered what the most historical way is to treat such fixed units.  Some designers provide house rules specifying they should/shouldn't be used in certain ways.  But usually, the player is left to do as they please.  Hence, fixed units can dig in, lay mines, build bunkers, blow bridges, and, if indirect fire capable, bombard spotted enemy units. 

However - again thinking of how best to approach this historically - I have often thought the better approach was to leave fixed units be unless/until they are released, with the sole exception of indirect fire units, which can bombard.  

How do other players approach this?
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2023, 10:50 AM,
RE: Fixed Units - How Should They Be Managed?
Assuming the fixed unit is divisional size, I would have no problem with them calling artillery fire. Some sub unit of the fixed division would have a target in their line of sight and would be acting as an artillery spotter.

Digging in and improving the position would be at the discretion of the division commander, so no problem with that either.

I've never had a situation where blowing a bridge was a possibility, but if the fixed unit is in such a position, and it is tactically beneficial, I would have no problem with bridge building/demolition/ laying mines, etc.

Just my two cents, interesting question!
Quote:Me and General McAulliffe decided to move I Company up on the line. That is, if you agree.
- SGT Kinnie to PFC Holley, Battleground, 1949
01-09-2023, 12:54 AM,
RE: Fixed Units - How Should They Be Managed?
I read somewhere that some fixed units were placed just for historical reasons and placed in such a way as to not be activated. Boredom, I guess.

I agree with MikeC, adding, if a unit is on the map and is activated in any way, they can be used. If not, why put them on the map?