• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Messing with colors. ...
01-05-2023, 04:14 AM,
RE: Messing with colors. ...
(01-05-2023, 02:07 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Frankly, on my tablet at least, I had to really dig in to notice or identify the difference. So on the basis that to me the difference is negligible, I like the right flag a slight bit mire.

Tablet here as well and right for me as well.

Are the units from different games? The small unit icon is in a different corner? I thought this icon was standardised for Allies and Axis forces? 

Maybe not.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2023, 04:49 AM,
Yeah you, and me both and I had one more vote for #2 so after working on these I ma more keen on # 2 and I came up with my own special idea to distinguish Paras, and such, I'll post a sample when done.

So I archived off #1 and am going with #2 all around. I'll still make zips for each game for folks to use GME to try them out.

Thanks for the feedback and interest.
01-05-2023, 06:23 AM,
a_Arrow  RE: Messing with colors. ...
Your work looks really nice @zovs66.

You asked earlier what I thought and I liked the newer (lighter) steel blue.

As for flags, I am going to go on the opposite side of RickyB as I like the look of the "unit name bar" and flag that has a slight lighter outline color to it, better in option #1.

As for background colors, it is easier to read the unit info if you do not any light colors shown, like white or shades of white, especially if the game produces white colored font as it makes it harder to read the info and numbers.

The solid red and grey background color images of the German units you showed are very "old age friendly" which are easier to read...

Thanks
01-05-2023, 07:18 AM,
Thank you compass rose for the kind words.

You hit the head with "old age friendly" lol

Just to date myself, when SPI came out with the "proper" German grey, Russian brown, US olive and British khaki I was thrilled compared to the way AH has been doing the pink and blue for Germans, Russians, US and British lol.

I'll see if I can circle back to add as an option the lighter option # 1, since that is what I started with (not sure if its complete).

With option # 2 I went "hog" wild and created nations not yet in existence with PzC, such as Yugoslavia, Denmark (true), Norway (true), Slovakia and RSI Italians lol for example

Oh, the only non-nation flags I used were the USMC and the SS, for the US and UK airborne, and the German LW and KM, Soviet Guard, Naval, NKVD, Italian CCNN I used a "specials" line color coded based off of some ideas, so for example the Soviet Guards (as well as the US and UK Airborne) have a 'gold' outline and the LW uses Blue, NKVD is a green (I pulled from a NKVD flag picture), etc.

The super really nice thing if you will, is I am using multi layers to make the art work, so this makes it very easy to add/slice and dice colors or backgrounds a bit.

For example, here on the right I have all the layers, and if you look closely you can see the "hidden" and not displayed option # 1 flag that you like, so I can "mix and mingle' things a bit.

[Image: ACCbk0Y.png]

I want to finish this graphic project up so I can get back to gaming lol.

But things look pretty cool.
01-05-2023, 07:41 AM,
Just remember too, that what looks good in a forum board post does always does not mean it will look as good in-game since in-game, it will be alot smaller, and vice versa.

As you already know, once you start doing mods, you open a whole can of worms when you start asking for feedback and you will normally always get both sides of the fence.

And then the more digging you do to improve things leads to rabbit hole after rabbit hole...   Propeller Hat

[Image: Rabbit%20Hole.jpg]
01-05-2023, 08:33 AM,
I'm with Compass Rose, my vote goes for #1 but mainly because I like the higher-contrast unit name bar!
01-05-2023, 08:46 AM,
Okay last rabbit hole for the day and then I'll make my final decision...

Once more into the brink, the ones on the right are all complete, but on the left I got another idea, but is it too 'puffy'? Or should I just wrap up with the ones on the right (tiring work to say the least).

[Image: tjOCWUr.png]

A direct link may help...

https://i.imgur.com/tjOCWUr.png
01-05-2023, 10:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2023, 10:09 AM by Compass Rose.)
I notice the flag shading being different however, I can not notice anything else being different and I am not sure what is "puffy"....

Both look nice..
01-05-2023, 08:14 PM,
Here is a close up view, the one on the left is my original and finished work, the one on the right was a test and is a bit more "puffy" to me, that being puffy/chubby is wrong lol, just different.

[Image: ZHt1Vnf.png]
01-05-2023, 08:25 PM,
I think for now I may just stick to the one on the left since they are all done (all nations that is).