• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thoughts on Bunkers
12-31-2022, 01:08 AM,
Thoughts on Bunkers
After having played various scenarios with bunkers as defender and attacker, I have a thought on bunkers.  This may be completely unrealistic or impossible from a programing end, but what if after X number of assaults or Y number of artillery and aerial bombardment a bunker is reduced to rubble similar to a village or town?  Just a thought, shoot any holes you like in this. 

Steve
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2022, 10:18 AM,
RE: Thoughts on Bunkers
That is an interesting thought, but keep in mind bunkers were designed to specifically handle extended bombardments. We could have a chance to rubble that might be equivalent or a %age of the current rubble value, but we would have to debate the sense of the change internally.
12-31-2022, 11:21 AM,
(12-31-2022, 10:18 AM)Strela Wrote: That is an interesting thought, but keep in mind bunkers were designed to specifically handle extended bombardments. We could have a chance to rubble that might be equivalent or a %age of the current rubble value, but we would have to debate the sense of the change internally.

Seeing as bunkers are intended to be as difficult to see as possible, and they're usually built into the ground, it's hard to see how their destruction would cause rubble. Also, they don't fill the entire 1 km x 1 km hex, unlike urban terrain.

Pillboxes and forts, on the other hand...
01-01-2023, 04:22 AM,
(12-31-2022, 10:18 AM)Strela Wrote: That is an interesting thought, but keep in mind bunkers were designed to specifically handle extended bombardments. We could have a chance to rubble that might be equivalent or a %age of the current rubble value, but we would have to debate the sense of the change internally.

Thanks for the reply and input.  I had this idea as playing as defender and attacker with bunker scenarios.  In thinking about your reply and Liebchen's reply, which I didn't even consider pillboxes and forts, it's the combined bunker and terrain defensive value of say forest+bunker, jungle+bunker.  Liebchen's reply of bunker to hex size made me think of this, so perhaps after X assaults, bombardment etc.. the bunker value remains, but the hex terrain becomes "rubble" like as surrounding cover of trees, vegetation etc.. is destroyed leaving the bunker exposed and not providing the full terrain defensive value. 

I'm just spit balling here and I understand this could be completely unrealistic for the engine or unrealistic for valuable time for development and changes in scenarios.  I've just run into some scenario situations where after over 20 turns of airstrikes, assaults, bombardment, a bunker, mainly in protected terrain, can't be cracked, especially when there are strings of bunkers and ZOC makes isolation very difficult to achieve.  The games are great and I like a challenge, but at times bunkers are a little maddening.  

Thanks
01-01-2023, 05:18 AM,
(01-01-2023, 04:22 AM)Saddlesore Wrote: at times bunkers are a little maddening.  

Yup.