• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thoughts on Disruption/Broken Recovery - Revisitied
12-27-2022, 03:30 AM,
Thoughts on Disruption/Broken Recovery - Revisitied
After fully digesting the math and probability of disruption recovery, I've come to the conclusion that the biggest factor that determines how likely a unit will recover is really it's moral state... sure the distance a unit is from it's HQ is a factor, but moral, mathematically has a bigger impact on the outcome. (see discussion from my previous thread here:  https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=75750)

As I understand it, fatigue and low ammo/fuel are factors that can degrade moral and for the sake of the disruption recovery calculation, being 'detached' is another degrading factor.  There may be more that I'm not aware of and it would be great if anyone can add to the list with specifics.

All that being said, I'm curious as to some tactics and ideas other people use to manage the moral state of their units and what is the best way to improve that moral state once it's been degraded? 

I tend to push my units to the brink... I usually commit them to the fight even if they are disrupted, low ammo/fuel... but only to the point that they are about to take on orange level fatigue.  When they get close to that point, I will usually pull them back.  I figure with all the time it takes to get a unit positioned to engage, with consideration of terrain, digging in and stacking limits, it's better to keep the pressure up for as long as you can with any particular unit. 

Other thoughts?

-Mark
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2022, 04:57 AM,
RE: Thoughts on Disruption/Broken Recovery - Revisitied
(12-27-2022, 03:30 AM)MisterMark Wrote: After fully digesting the math and probability of disruption recovery, I've come to the conclusion that the biggest factor that determines how likely a unit will recover is really it's moral state... sure the distance a unit is from it's HQ is a factor, but moral, mathematically has a bigger impact on the outcome. (see discussion from my previous thread here:  https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=75750)

As I understand it, fatigue and low ammo/fuel are factors that can degrade moral and for the sake of the disruption recovery calculation, being 'detached' is another degrading factor.  There may be more that I'm not aware of and it would be great if anyone can add to the list with specifics.

All that being said, I'm curious as to some tactics and ideas other people use to manage the moral state of their units and what is the best way to improve that moral state once it's been degraded? 

I tend to push my units to the brink... I usually commit them to the fight even if they are disrupted, low ammo/fuel... but only to the point that they are about to take on orange level fatigue.  When they get close to that point, I will usually pull them back.  I figure with all the time it takes to get a unit positioned to engage, with consideration of terrain, digging in and stacking limits, it's better to keep the pressure up for as long as you can with any particular unit. 

Other thoughts?

-Mark

Being detached only degrades morale (not 'moral') in the First World War series, not in Panzer Campaigns, so in those titles staying in command range matters more. (In Panzer Campaigns it still affects things such as replacements and artillery spotting effectiveness.)

As for tactics, try to get your low ammo/fuel units resupplied ASAP, which is dependent on range from their HQ. Also, rest your units when you get a chance, as recovery speed is also dependent on their morale at the time.
12-27-2022, 05:17 AM,
Speaking in terms of PzC and MC, where mobility is important, I make it a point to commit units intact, by Div if that’s the sole HQ, by Brigade or Regiment if available.  Unless the unit is A quality I will pull it off line when it goes over 100 fatigue, if it is A quality I’ll push it closer to 200.  Staying in command strictly solves most supply issues.  Engage at night only if essential or already in contact.  I find doing this will keep my army almost as combat capable at game end as at game start.  Of course none of that applies in a short game, that’s just hammer away.  

My FWWC experience is slight but I found that strategy was less effective since morale of most units is “more average” and command ranges dog leash short.  The rotation of forces there needed doing on Corps level to work even half well, and the scale and density of forces made it hard to effectively maneuver the actual troops.

In all games of any genre though I have found not grinding your forces to a nub the best approach unless you have a vast numerical superiority.
12-27-2022, 05:33 AM,
Disruption:
There should be more than one type of disruption. Call it light disruption. Example a unit that disrupts due to night movement. That unit's disruption should last no longer than the end of the dawn turn.
12-27-2022, 10:11 AM,
(12-27-2022, 04:57 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 03:30 AM)MisterMark Wrote: After fully digesting the math and probability of disruption recovery, I've come to the conclusion that the biggest factor that determines how likely a unit will recover is really it's moral state... sure the distance a unit is from it's HQ is a factor, but moral, mathematically has a bigger impact on the outcome. (see discussion from my previous thread here:  https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=75750)

Other thoughts?

-Mark

Being detached only degrades morale (not 'moral') in the First World War series, not in Panzer Campaigns, so in those titles staying in command range matters more. (In Panzer Campaigns it still affects things such as replacements and artillery spotting effectiveness.)

As for tactics, try to get your low ammo/fuel units resupplied ASAP, which is dependent on range from their HQ. Also, rest your units when you get a chance, as recovery speed is also dependent on their morale at the time.

"Being detached only degrades morale (not 'moral')".... haha good catch!  But I'll bet in real life being detached led to bad morals for individual soldiers.
12-30-2022, 08:17 PM,
In the old days I would grind my units forward trying to keep the defense under constant pressure as that was the best way to achieve my objectives, however as I continued to better understood the game system over time I stated to see the benefits of rotating my units once they entered the medium/yellow fatigue zone, provided my command system was in place I could see how much quicker they recovered from disruption compared to units in red fatigue.

As others have said this is even more important in the FWWC titles where command ranges are short and being detached brings even more negatives.
12-31-2022, 12:44 AM,
(12-27-2022, 10:11 AM)MisterMark Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 04:57 AM)Liebchen Wrote:

Other thoughts?

-Mark

"Being detached only degrades morale (not 'moral')".... haha good catch!  But I'll bet in real life being detached led to bad morals for individual soldiers.

In real life, being detached only a concern to officers.  Rank and File soldiers are only concerned with their own company and a buddy or two in other companies.  Being detached was no big deal.