• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

B44 Scenario 16_14 Wacht Am Rhein Herbstnebel
12-12-2022, 12:36 AM,
B44 Scenario 16_14 Wacht Am Rhein Herbstnebel
Has anyone here played the subject scenario (design credit is Brian Jennings).  It's a slightly expanded map area of the classic Bulge CG scenario, with a completely reworked OOB and I am curious if anyone has any experience with it as a PBEM (or AI for that matter).  If so, what your impressions of it were in terms of balance, play-ability, and enjoyment.
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2022, 02:51 AM,
RE: B44 Scenario 16_14 Wacht Am Rhein Herbstnebel
(12-12-2022, 12:36 AM)Steel God Wrote: Has anyone here played the subject scenario (design credit is Brian Jennings).  It's a slightly expanded map area of the classic Bulge CG scenario, with a completely reworked OOB and I am curious if anyone has any experience with it as a PBEM (or AI for that matter).  If so, what your impressions of it were in terms of balance, play-ability, and enjoyment.

If you look in the AAR section you will find a very short AAR. It uses old graphics PzC/Tiller style so it looks a bit strange. 

You'll need plenty of stamina.  Rolling Eyes
12-14-2022, 04:48 AM,
(12-12-2022, 02:51 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 12:36 AM)Steel God Wrote: Has anyone here played the subject scenario (design credit is Brian Jennings).  It's a slightly expanded map area of the classic Bulge CG scenario, with a completely reworked OOB and I am curious if anyone has any experience with it as a PBEM (or AI for that matter).  If so, what your impressions of it were in terms of balance, play-ability, and enjoyment.

If you look in the AAR section you will find a very short AAR. It uses old graphics PzC/Tiller style so it looks a bit strange. 

I've read through it a couple of times, it reads like you should play the game in mid-winter with the heat turned off, and the windows open so you can fill in the missing pieces on the experience.
12-14-2022, 10:52 PM,
(12-14-2022, 04:48 AM)Steel God Wrote:

I've read through it a couple of times, it reads like you should play the game in mid-winter with the heat turned off, and the windows open so you can fill in the missing pieces on the experience.

Well given the cost of heating then that just about sums up my house at the moment. And since I retire in 2 weeks then that will be my house when I am sitting there all week. Rolling Eyes

I've played the game further than that AAR with a real opponent. WE got to 2nd day when to my shame I gave up. I'll see if I can find any notes. Looking at saved games might help if I can remember my password......

If you want to try out the scenario I'm quite happy to play the first day as the US player since the US player doesn't have much to move early on as is typical in Bulge games. The biggest factor for me in these games is fatigue management and since the change made to average Fatigue when recombining rather than minimise it I quite enjoy company level games now.
12-15-2022, 06:40 AM,
(12-14-2022, 10:52 PM)Plain Ian Wrote:

Well given the cost of heating then that just about sums up my house at the moment. And since I retire in 2 weeks then that will be my house when I am sitting there all week. Rolling Eyes

I've played the game further than that AAR with a real opponent. WE got to 2nd day when to my shame I gave up. I'll see if I can find any notes. Looking at saved games might help if I can remember my password......

If you want to try out the scenario I'm quite happy to play the first day as the US player since the US player doesn't have much to move early on as is typical in Bulge games. The biggest factor for me in these games is fatigue management and since the change made to average Fatigue when recombining rather than minimise it I quite enjoy company level games now.

Actually I have an offer to play the game from another player, although truthfully I'm daunted by the whole look of the thing.  The Stock and Alternate Scenarios both already offer enough congestion and road management to make a Logistics Manager wince, I can't imagine what dealing with all of the added counters to move would do to that.  Not really thrilled to see the Deception Units removed either, or all the US Engineer units able to break down to Companies, both of those changes seem to hamper an already impossible mission for the Huns.  I'm going to try and find some time to play it a bit against the AI before making a final decision on playing it "for real".

That said, I'm already retired so if you fancy a game of something else let me know and I'm sure we can work something out to mutual enjoyment.
12-15-2022, 07:57 AM,
(12-15-2022, 06:40 AM)Steel God Wrote:

Actually I have an offer to play the game from another player, although truthfully I'm daunted by the whole look of the thing.  The Stock and Alternate Scenarios both already offer enough congestion and road management to make a Logistics Manager wince, I can't imagine what dealing with all of the added counters to move would do to that.  Not really thrilled to see the Deception Units removed either, or all the US Engineer units able to break down to Companies, both of those changes seem to hamper an already impossible mission for the Huns.  I'm going to try and find some time to play it a bit against the AI before making a final decision on playing it "for real".

That said, I'm already retired so if you fancy a game of something else let me know and I'm sure we can work something out to mutual enjoyment.

Ok I'll see what I can find. I might need to see if there is someone who still uses Auto Hot Key and if they are managing to get it to work with the new Tool Bar and new WDS hot keys. 

I got used to playing with hot keys mapped by Auto Hot Key plus the standard PzC ones. I'm struggling not being able to use T and D for T mode and Dig. And Y and 6 to give me reachable hexes and saved movement points in quick fashion. I can't see using the CTRL is going to be an option for me.

I appreciate the new streamlined Toolbar layout and think its a great layout but I've spent a long time playing games using about 8 single hot keys that going back to a mouse click is going to slow things down? I'll see.
12-15-2022, 06:48 PM,
You can use the numpad 0 for travel mode by the way under the new regime…
12-15-2022, 10:59 PM,
(12-15-2022, 06:48 PM)Strela Wrote: You can use the numpad 0 for travel mode by the way under the new regime…

Oops yes I noticed that in another post somewhere. Good tip. 

What I really need is a quick way to toggle on reachable hexes then bring up saved movement to see how far I can move and deploy/fire then back to reachable hexes. I haven't done a time and studies of my WDS/PzC game behaviour but I find that this takes up a good amount of it.

Other thing is firing indirect which I brought up before. I try to not to use the Artillery Menu as it can jump about.

A button for putting all artillery on top then selecting targets as I check each would be my preferred option so I can fire in groups/armies/sectors that way easier.

The new layout though is brilliant by the way and pretty logical. It should make it far easier for new players.
12-15-2022, 11:17 PM,
(12-15-2022, 07:57 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 06:40 AM)Steel God Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 02:51 AM)Plain Ian Wrote: If you look in the AAR section you will find a very short AAR. It uses old graphics PzC/Tiller style so it looks a bit strange. 

Ok I'll see what I can find. I might need to see if there is someone who still uses Auto Hot Key and if they are managing to get it to work with the new Tool Bar and new WDS hot keys. 

I got used to playing with hot keys mapped by Auto Hot Key plus the standard PzC ones. I'm struggling not being able to use T and D for T mode and Dig. And Y and 6 to give me reachable hexes and saved movement points in quick fashion. I can't see using the CTRL is going to be an option for me.

I appreciate the new streamlined Toolbar layout and think its a great layout but I've spent a long time playing games using about 8 single hot keys that going back to a mouse click is going to slow things down? I'll see.
12-15-2022, 11:22 PM,
Well that's what I get for trying to edit the reply dialog!

What I was trying to say in the last post was that I use AHK and it works with the new tool bars and hot keys. I'm like Ian in that I have been using a combination of AHK and standard hot keys. I haven't tried re-mapping AHK to replicate the "old" way, I may just try to re-train myself to use the new hot keys since they are now the same as PzB and it will be nice to have the same system for both series.