• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Supply dumps
08-15-2022, 02:52 AM,
Supply dumps
So I've apparently captured an enemy supply dump, judging by the fact that many of their units are in "isolated" status.

The thing is, my troops are so ignorant that they cannot see the huge cache of ammo, fuel, and food.

I understand the point of not making supply sources visible on the map, but shouldn't they appear to enemy units that are sitting right on top of them?
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2022, 02:57 AM,
RE: Supply dumps
You blocked a supply route, not captured dumps basically. Or at least, for map edge supply sources. If a source in the interior of the map, then it suffers from the supply locations having the same behavior in all cases, and not worth changing in my mind.

To add to it, the map edge supply sources are too restrictive at a single hex as supply could be rerouted, in most cases, to a different entry point.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-15-2022, 03:21 AM,
(08-15-2022, 02:57 AM)Ricky B Wrote: You blocked a supply route, not captured dumps basically. Or at least, for map edge supply sources. If a source in the interior of the map, then it suffers from the supply locations having the same behavior in all cases, and not worth changing in my mind.

To add to it, the map edge supply sources are too restrictive at a single hex as supply could be rerouted,  in most cases, to a different entry point.

No, this is definitely a supply dump. An entire corps has been cut off from their map edge for a while and stayed in supply until I took control of a certain region of the map. That's when they all-of-a-sudden were isolated. So I'm sitting on their invisible supply dump.
08-16-2022, 01:44 AM,
So that is a supply source as I noted, which are typically but not always, on a map edge. You can call it a supply dump, which would be partially accurate - although in Korsun and Stalingrad, they sometimes represent airfields.

But as I say, even in the middle of the map, they use the same behavior, and I would say hard to justify having ones in the middle of the map show up, while map edges don't. And map edge ones were not shown on purpose. But if you want to change all to be visible, push for it. David comes by and may see this, if you request it, but probably better to ask WDS directly.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-16-2022, 02:54 AM,
(08-16-2022, 01:44 AM)Ricky B Wrote: So that is a supply source as I noted, which are typically but not always, on a map edge. You can call it a supply dump, which would be partially accurate - although in Korsun and Stalingrad, they sometimes represent airfields.

But as I say, even in the middle of the map, they use the same behavior, and I would say hard to justify having ones in the middle of the map show up, while map edges don't. And map edge ones were not shown on purpose. But if you want to change all to be visible, push for it. David comes by and may see this, if you request it, but probably better to ask WDS directly.

To be clear, I'm not complaining or advocating for any changes, just noting this odd result of the rules.
08-16-2022, 03:46 AM,
(08-16-2022, 02:54 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 01:44 AM)Ricky B Wrote: So that is a supply source as I noted, which are typically but not always, on a map edge. You can call it a supply dump, which would be partially accurate - although in Korsun and Stalingrad, they sometimes represent airfields.

To be clear, I'm not complaining or advocating for any changes, just noting this odd result of the rules.
Hi Liebchen! I just updated Bulge_Revived 3.0 and gave St. Vith and Bastogne intrinsic Allied supply (value 2). Basically if either one gets visibly isolated, yet the units inside don't become isolated, then you know there's a supply source there; for example  jonny
08-24-2022, 03:20 PM,
(08-16-2022, 03:46 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 02:54 AM)Liebchen Wrote:

Hi Liebchen! I just updated Bulge_Revived 3.0 and gave St. Vith and Bastogne intrinsic Allied supply (value 2). Basically if either one gets visibly isolated, yet the units inside don't become isolated, then you know there's a supply source there; for example  jonny

Well, of course.

But say I overrun their supply source. Shouldn't my troops recognize barrels of fuel, crates of ammo, and stockpiles of food? Even if they can't use it, it would be a noteworthy thing to pass up the chain of command, to get marked on a map.

Just sayin'.