• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defensive Works Downgraded?
08-01-2022, 06:37 AM,
Defensive Works Downgraded?
I'm playing a scenario in Salerno43' as the allies and I have established several defensive works around some key objectives I took much earlier in the game (I'm about halfway through a 275 turn scenario at the moment).  Most of the defensive works have been established 20-30 turns ago if I had to guess and are mainly 'TRENCH' with a few 'IMPROVISED' here and there.

I know that if you vacate a hex with defensive works and you or the enemy reoccupies it, it will be downgraded with 1/2 it's strength and noted as such with lower case letters, ie 'trench' or 'improvised'... and I've learned you can easily get it back up to full strength by having an appropriate unit 'dig-in'.

However, on my last turn I noticed several of my works were downgraded to 'trench' or 'improvised' and I am 99% certain I had never vacated those particular hexes.  I didn't see anything in the manual regarding this and I'm wondering if it's a bug or some game mechanic that I don't fully understand yet.

Anyone have any idea?

Thank you,

-Mark
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2022, 06:43 AM,
RE: Defensive Works Downgraded?
Are you sure that you didn't maybe move one unit out of the hex in question, and then move another unit in? That would have the effect that you're describing.
08-01-2022, 06:57 AM,
(08-01-2022, 06:43 AM)Liebchen Wrote: Are you sure that you didn't maybe move one unit out of the hex in question, and then move another unit in? That would have the effect that you're describing.

I thought that was the case the first time I noticed it with one particular hex, but then on the next turn I noticed several more.  I suppose it is possible as I did re-arrange some units several turns ago and maybe I just noticed the downgrade more recently.  Although I can't say I'm 100% certain that something like that did not happen, I'm feeling fairly sure I hadn't vacated the hexes in question.
08-01-2022, 07:00 AM,
The only other cause of entrenchments being dropped to lower case is from losing an assault, but being unable to retreat. Which doesn't seem to apply.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-01-2022, 07:19 AM,
(08-01-2022, 07:00 AM)Ricky B Wrote: The only other cause of entrenchments being dropped to lower case is from losing an assault, but being unable to retreat. Which doesn't seem to apply.

Well come to think of it, I do think there were some sustained assaults on those hexes and although the area to retreat to was in my hands, I'm not sure if movement was denied due to terrain/weather modifiers or not.  I still haven't figured out fully all the mechanics that go into movement costs vs the modifiers. 

None the less, this is a tid bit of info that is handy to know moving forward.