• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Game play question.
07-11-2022, 09:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2022, 09:21 PM by zap.)
Game play question.
When using smoke in an advance. where the enemy is in the hex adjacent to the hex you will be entering. Should you drop the smoke in the hex your advancing to or the hex where the enemy is. I'm looking for the best protection against op fire while advancing. Or is there no difference in the cover it gives. I've used smoke in both hexes before so i know that is the best. However, when the number of smoke you have available is limited you want to be frugal. So which is best when you can only use 1 smoke round so its most effective
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2022, 12:04 AM,
RE: Game play question.
Good question. 

Usually I drop the smoke into the hex I'm going to advance into. In that way all future op fire, direct fire and indirect fire  from all other hexes is halved. It gives your advancing troops greater survivability especially from being disrupted. In the next turn the smoke clears and your right in the enemy unit's face hopefully undisrupted or worse retreated.
07-12-2022, 06:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 06:12 AM by zap.)
Yes, that's what the manual indicates.

maybe its just my imagination but it seems when firing from a smoke filled hex into another smoke filled hex it decreases the the firing ability even more.

The Manual says : Smoke – Smoke is an obstacle to LOS if it exists between the firer and its intended target. A unit in a Smoke hex can still fire, or be
fired upon, but only at half Attack Strength. Smoke can be fired only by certain Indirect Fire units, and halves the non-assault attack
into or out of its hex.

So does that mean two hexes with smoke; you're fire is half fire and then halved again firing into the second hex with smoke?
07-12-2022, 10:59 PM,
(07-12-2022, 06:07 AM)zap Wrote: So does that mean two hexes with smoke; you're fire is half fire and then halved again firing into the second hex with smoke?

Yes, you are correct. If you want fire quartered smoke the hex you are in and the hex the enemy is in.
That seems to be the case during game play.

Farmer

HSL
07-13-2022, 12:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2022, 12:15 AM by zap.)
(07-12-2022, 06:07 AM)zap Wrote: Yes, that's what the manual indicates.

maybe its just my imagination but it seems when firing from a smoke filled hex into another smoke filled hex it decreases  the the firing ability even more.

The Manual says : Smoke – Smoke is an obstacle to LOS if it exists between the firer and its intended target. A unit in a Smoke hex can still fire, or be
fired upon, but only at half Attack Strength. Smoke can be fired only by certain Indirect Fire units, and halves the non-assault attack
into or out of its hex.

So does that mean two hexes with smoke; you're fire is half fire and then halved again firing into the second hex with smoke?

Thanks Ed. 
About my other question. 
Do you think it matters which hex you put your smoke in (as far as, what most protects from op fire). Drop it in the enemy hex or the hex you move into?  I understand from what John said that it seems best in the hex your moving into that way your protected from other adject hexes that might have troops to fire at you. 
But if, there is only one hex containing an enemy unit does putting it in their hex or your hex make a difference?
07-13-2022, 02:00 AM,
Hi zap and Ed!

To me it makes sense to place the smoke in the hex your unit will move into. I understand the enemy unit that can see you will see you move into the smoke hex possibly triggering op fire. What you don't know is the other empty hexes that have LOS to your placed smoke hex may have hidden units that you can't see until you move because you triggered op fire. Remember op fire is range dependent none-short-medium-long. So in moving you may trigger additional op fire from an empty hex because you closed the range and/or came into the LOS of one of the empty hexes. 

Having the smoke protection is the better play IMO.
07-13-2022, 10:36 PM,
Makes sense to fire into the hex you are moving into to provide you with concealment. If you fire smoke into the enemy hex, you are providing the enemy with cover. Makes sense to me anyway. Either that or they both get cover of smoke no matter which hex has the smoke.
07-13-2022, 11:30 PM,
(07-13-2022, 10:36 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Makes sense to fire into the hex you are moving into to provide you with concealment.  If you fire smoke into the enemy hex, you are providing the enemy with cover.  Makes sense to me anyway.  Either that or they both get cover of smoke no matter which hex has the smoke.

That's a good point! But if you do put it in your hex, when you return fire after enemy op fires at you, isn't your fire halved as well from your smoke filled hex?
07-14-2022, 10:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2022, 10:18 PM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
If it is the same whether you fire into or out of smoke, then it doesn't matter.  Unless, there are enemy units in surrounding hexes other than where the smoke is.  In that case, you want the smoke in the hex you will be in.
07-15-2022, 10:23 PM,
(07-11-2022, 09:13 PM)zap Wrote: So which is best when you can only use 1 smoke round so its most effective

If I only had one smoke round I would most likely fire it into the enemy hex.
There is a funny "quirk" in the game, that I have often run into. That is opportunity fire from ambush is most devastating.
If you smoke the hex in front of the enemy and move into it, the enemy would have lost LOS on your unit and then it would trigger opt fire from ambush?
When you drop it on the enemy their fire is halved as you move forward. It would take a very lucky shot to disrupt or do damage to your unit.

If I had two rounds I would fire the first into the enemy hex and then one into the hex I move into. The opt fire would be quartered and I would receive protection from other enemy fire, if they had a LOS to the hex.

As always; smoke 'em if you got 'em?

Farmer

HSL