• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Request for advice please
06-24-2022, 05:08 AM,
Request for advice please
Good evening

New to the party and I’m keen to make my first move into the John Tiller Campaign series. My interests lie in the Eastern Front. Having looked through the available titles as best I can, can I request some forum advice please?

Which title offers the best chance of operating a later war German OOB. I’m particularly interested in the Tiger/Panther generation of tanks and the Russian armour/ AT counter to this.
I guess titles from the year ‘43 onwards but as I will only make one purchase to begin with, would like to know which one may be best for this?

Very many thanks and regards

Craig
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2022, 07:08 AM,
RE: Request for advice please
(06-24-2022, 05:08 AM)craigdowding Wrote: Good evening

New to the party and I’m keen to make my first move into the John Tiller Campaign series. My interests lie in the Eastern Front. Having looked through the available titles as best I can, can I request some forum advice please?

Which title offers the best chance of operating a later war German OOB. I’m particularly interested in the Tiger/Panther generation of tanks and the Russian armour/ AT counter to this.
I guess titles from the year ‘43 onwards but as I will only make one purchase to begin with, would like to know which one may be best for this?

Craig

The titles with the biggest cats in them will be:

Bulge '44
Budapest '45

Tigers, however, were introduced relatively early in the war and can be found in any of the African titles, or the Italian titles, or in Kursk '43 or Normandy '44. They may be present in Kharkov '44 and Korsun, but I really can't recall.
06-24-2022, 09:15 AM,
Kiev has what you are looking for.
[Image: exercise.png]
06-24-2022, 10:45 AM,
(06-24-2022, 09:15 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Kiev has what you are looking for.

I forgot about Kiev, and also Minsk '44.
06-24-2022, 11:30 PM,
You won't find any Tigers in Tobruk or Alamein. Maybe a battalion in Tunisia. A battalion+ in Normandy, a mix of a whole lot of stuff in Bulge including Kingtigers, but, no Tiger Is. I don't know much about the Eastern Front except there should increasing amounts of Tigers and Panthers from 43 on.
06-24-2022, 11:37 PM,
Also, there is the Panzer Battles series. Normandy has at least one scenario. Don't know about Kursk. Haven't looked through the scenarios.
06-25-2022, 04:58 AM,
Very many thanks for your replies.

Much appreciated.

Best regards

Craig
06-25-2022, 05:42 AM,
(06-24-2022, 05:08 AM)craigdowding Wrote: Which title offers the best chance of operating a later war German OOB. I’m particularly interested in the Tiger/Panther generation of tanks and the Russian armour/ AT counter to this.

I would suggest Budapest'45. It's a good game with interesting scenarios and a lot of late war equipment.
07-01-2022, 03:20 PM,
(06-24-2022, 05:08 AM)craigdowding Wrote: Good evening

Craig

I could suggest Korsun Pocket.  Only played one of the larger scenarios, I could look it up on a map, but irrelevant.  It was fun, I was German, outnumbered, but got tricksy during a night move on a flank I was real close to getting crushed on.  I had the original board game by People's Wargames, Jack Rady; but it was a beast and I left it unpunched.

Anyway, much later in the war, the Tiger's definitely made an effect, in the game, lol.