• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New to Panzer Campaigns, have many questions... Let's start with HQ's
06-08-2022, 12:23 AM,
RE: New to Panzer Campaigns, have many questions... Let's start with HQ's
(06-07-2022, 10:51 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 11:15 AM)MisterMark Wrote: If broken and possibly isolated, would they offer any benefit or advantage to their subordinates?  Or would an HQ in such a situation be completely useless to it's subordinates as if it were completely eliminated?

In practice the end result seems to be that keeping an enemy HQ alive in those conditions is preferable to destroying it. A gamey move maybe, but the idea is to prevent the deployment of a replacement HQ.

Perhaps this is a little gamey, but everyone seems to have a different view on what "gamey" is anyway.  Wink

I would only say that if the HQ sits in a stack with the last units from is formation you might as well destroy it and bag the points as it will never reappear.
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2022, 01:02 AM,
(06-08-2022, 12:23 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 10:51 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote: In practice the end result seems to be that keeping an enemy HQ alive in those conditions is preferable to destroying it. A gamey move maybe, but the idea is to prevent the deployment of a replacement HQ.

Perhaps this is a little gamey, but everyone seems to have a different view on what "gamey" is anyway.  Wink

I would only say that if the HQ sits in a stack with the last units from is formation you might as well destroy it and bag the points as it will never reappear.

If the HQ is stacked with its own formation, yes, there's no reason not to eliminate it. But if it's isolated from its units, it seems more profitable to keep it alive.

Probably not a very common situation anyway... but the OP has an even "gamey-er" option to break out of the trap depicted in the screenshot, short of mounting a rescue operation: in his turn, use the HQ to assault the adjacent enemy units. The game will show a warning that HQs cannot assault, but it will still draw opportunity fire. At some point the HQ will be destroyed and eventually a brand new replacement will appear behind friendly lines Big Grin
06-08-2022, 12:19 PM,
Interesting.  I'd like to hear how/why capturing an opponents HQ is gamey?  Seemed smart to me but then i am just a HS grad.  I certainly dont wont to come across as a gamey player.
cheers
06-08-2022, 12:32 PM,
(06-08-2022, 12:19 PM)lezgo killemall Wrote: Interesting.  I'd like to hear how/why capturing an opponents HQ is gamey?  Seemed smart to me but then i am just a HS grad.  I certainly dont wont to come across as a gamey player.

Well, a game can only simulate so much. If keeping an HQ isolated is more advantageous than killing it, it still qualifies as a smart move IMO.
06-08-2022, 10:49 PM,
(06-08-2022, 12:32 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 12:19 PM)lezgo killemall Wrote: Interesting.  I'd like to hear how/why capturing an opponents HQ is gamey?  Seemed smart to me but then i am just a HS grad.  I certainly dont wont to come across as a gamey player.

Well, a game can only simulate so much. If keeping an HQ isolated is more advantageous than killing it, it still qualifies as a smart move IMO.

That can also be viewed as advantageous to the enemy because you have to use units to keep him isolated.  It worked in WW@ in the Pacific bypassing some islands.  But, we had control of the air and sea.