• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Prussia in Peril - East Prussia '14 Central Powers AAR - major victory turn 114
05-29-2022, 03:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2022, 04:59 AM by ComradeP.)
RE: Prussia in Peril - East Prussia '14 Central Powers AAR
For the 20th and 21st of August , I'll only post a 06:00 screenshot as turns are mostly about movement. After that, I'll post screenshots for 06:00 and 12:00 of each day.

Strategic movement: in the opening days, rail transport will be allocated to move 3. Reserve Division and 1. Kavallerie Division south, as well as to move some units of Hauptreserve Graudenz east. After that, 1. ID and 2. ID will be moved south.

Priority will be given to HQ's and infantry battalions. The divisional artillery, divisional cavalry and MG units will move along the primary roads until trains become available.

It costs cavalry units only 3 MP's to move a hex along a primary road, and the artillery units use cavalry movement. I was pleasantly surprised by the terrain they could cover.

Starting on the 22nd of August, 1st Army will be Fixed with variable release chances until September 1st. The cavalry divisions have a release chance per division and for the entire corps. The rest of 1st Army is either entirely Fixed or entirely released by the checks each turn. Each division does have a T release trigger to avoid abusing the Fixed state of 1st Army.

The scenario uses Electronic Warfare/wireless intercept rules. There's a 90% chance Russian HQ's of Corps level and above are identified each turn.

-

Turn 9 06:00 21st of August

[Image: vM0SBi7.jpg]

After some consideration, I didn't attack at Gumbinnen. The Fatigued/Disrupted state of the frontline formations combined with a very small chance of inflicting permanent losses on the Russians makes delaying the backhand blow against 2nd Army not worth it. 

In previous versions, the German replacement rate was excellent whilst reductions in Russian supply levels made it difficult for them to replace losses. Currently, the replacement rate is fractional for the Germans resulting in between 3 and 5 replacements per turn. That means prolonged contact will quickly burn out battalions to an extent that can't be corrected during the scenario.

My gun losses came from switching units to T-mode on turn 1.

Gumbinnen is in Russian hands. A lengthy colum of 1. ID, 35. ID and 36. ID is crossing the Angerapp. 2. ID is moving to Insterburg where it will board trains to the south.

There was no pressure from 1st Army, as it also needs a bit of rest at the start.

[Image: e6Gyg8W.jpg]

The most important long-term strategic decision is how many and which formations you want to move south. I decided to keep I Reservekorps in the north, because the Russians start right next to it and close to the Angerapp and because I want to maintain a credible presence in the north.

36. Reserve Division will hold the area north-east of Angerburg for as long as possible. 1. Reserve Division will screen the Darkehmen area.

[Image: LaEmbip.jpg]

Until Landwehr units from Feste Boyen arrive, one brigade from 3. Reserve Division will hold Nikolaiken. The other brigade moves into the forest between Kolonia and Niedersee to make sure the Russian 4th Cavalry Division can't flank the troops further west/south.

[Image: 2kQzUQE.jpg]

I want to buy as much time as possible, so I can relocate forces and face the Russians where it suits me. XX Armeekorps will be deployed in forward positions to force the Russians out of T-mode as soon as possible.

A brigade of 37. ID will hold the Friedrichshof area until relieved by 3. Reserve Division.

[Image: PHoEIx9.jpg]

The rest of 37. ID moves to Willenberg.

41. ID splits in two as well. One brigade moves to the bridge at Janovo, the other brigade to Neidenburg. This allows Hauptreserve Graudenz to move south-west.

[Image: l8NvjvY.jpg]

I was quite worried about Hauptreserve Graudenz being encircled by Russian cavalry, which is why I was keen to move all units of the formation into the same area as soon as possible and to prioritize moving 1. Kavallerie Division south by rail.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prussia in Peril - East Prussia '14 Central Powers AAR - by ComradeP - 05-29-2022, 03:48 AM