• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0.
10-11-2022, 11:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 11:59 PM by 2-81 Armor.)
RE: Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0.
I find myself agreeing with most of the comments above, and I'll add a few.

1. The scenario is too long (I don't have the game or anything WDS/Tiller installed right now so I may be wrong) and should be limited to the first week (stretching it two weeks) of operations. Both sides, given the rate of ammunition expenditure in modern combat would probably exhaust their on hand stocks pretty quickly anyway. Ditto fuel reserves and even food and medical supplies. If the Pact can't make their strategic objectives in a week max, it's game over. Reduce the number of turns.

2. If turns are reduced the unit density will go down naturally. This would be a huge help for players, with less units to move per turn. Also, please have a good hard look at the OOB for both sides, and try to weed out all of the 'ant' type units that look great in a detailed OOB, but tend to clutter up things. Border and Police units fall into this category I think, and (heresy here!) having too many SF types running around. Are SF troops important? You bet, but IRL I doubt they'd be overly available since they are too valuable to be wasted on all but the most important targets. They should be reduced in numbers.

3. The helicopter revision in Bolt 10.0 was an innovative experiment that looks great, and deserved to work, but the current game system really can't handle it. Better to return (as said above) to the old on map FOB/unit way of doing things.

4. Have a long hard re-evaluation of (especially NATO) which units should be allowed to breakdown given their specific uses and training/morale ratings. Also will cut back on the unit count.

5. Again with unit density, review the number of on map AAA units at all levels. While perfectly accurate as is, would it be better to revert to the older Bolt scenario system where the SAM umbrella markers and effects were used?

6. Why always the 1985-1989 period? Maybe something from the early 1980's might make for a more competitive WP force?

While I would welcome a revised Bolt, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0. - by 2-81 Armor - 10-11-2022, 11:55 PM