• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0.
06-20-2022, 02:20 AM,
RE: Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0.
(06-20-2022, 12:39 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: It doesn't make sense that WP is unfixed while Nato is fixed either.  I was in West Germany 80-82 and there was no way WP could have a build up without Nato knowing about it and doing nothing.  Anytime WP moved a unit, it was closely monitored.  Any time Div or larger, we went on alert.

I was also there 3 times between 1971-1985, and I do agree fully that Bolt Out of The Blue style scenarios, while apparently designed to give the WP an initial advantage and make things more "fun" are not totally realistic. In my experience NATO worst case planning was based on only having 48-72 hours warning, and best case 5-7 days of a possible attack. To do such a scenario using the Tiller modern system would require a house rule that enforces a mobilization period, since there is no other way to do it. (The TOAW system, and of course board games like SPI's Next War with the "Tension" scenarios do support this.) 

Wargame scenarios/books that feature anyone blasting out of garrison and rolling into an all out attack with no preparation and deployment may make exciting reading and game play, but I sincerely doubt they could have happened IRL. (We're all lucky we never had to find out!). Just my personal opinion here, and while I'm at it, why is everything in this genre centered around 1985? Beyond sexy, "modern" weapons systems what's the attraction? For a real challenge (when it comes to NATO readiness/training), maybe something based on a crisis during the 1973 October War might be a little more "realistic"? 

I don't regard using the editor to look any scenario over as spoiling things. If you disagree with a scenario designer's way of depicting things, you can always make changes. With a monster sized thing like Bolt it's a ton of work, taking a very long time, but it can be done. Units can be "unfixed" as one sees fit, and the releases can be eliminated or modified too. It's just a question of ensuring there are no conflicts or contradictions when doing it.

I'm not anticipating anything new beyond graphic changes, and bug fixes in the Modern Campaigns series. It seems to be complete, and more or less in maintenance status. Nothing at all wrong with that. 
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Beta release of Bolt out of the Blue V10.0. - by 2-81 Armor - 06-20-2022, 02:20 AM