• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rommel's First Offensive - solo AAR
04-08-2022, 03:02 AM,
RE: Rommel's First Offensive - solo AAR
I am sure if WDS make engine improvements they will be rolled out over the whole series.  Wink
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2022, 05:53 AM,
Thanks for this AAR and the Fall of the Netherlands AAR.

Are there VP's per turn for some objectives? If not, the victory levels at first glance seem to be impossible to reach.

You seemed to be doing very well. Only one 50 VP objective seems to be controlled by the Allies after they took stiff losses. With no organized Allied resistance west of Tobruk by the looks of it (aside from that unit in the hills at El Abiar if it survived the last attack) you still needed 416 VP's worth of objectives or enemy loss points to win even a minor victory.
04-18-2022, 11:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-18-2022, 11:23 AM by Ricky B.)
All objectives award points per turn. Maybe only to player 1, I don't remember that part for sure.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-18-2022, 10:26 PM,
(04-18-2022, 05:53 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Thanks for this AAR and the Fall of the Netherlands AAR.

Are there VP's per turn for some objectives? If not, the victory levels at first glance seem to be impossible to reach.

You seemed to be doing very well. Only one 50 VP objective seems to be controlled by the Allies after they took stiff losses. With no organized Allied resistance west of Tobruk by the looks of it (aside from that unit in the hills at El Abiar if it survived the last attack) you still needed 416 VP's worth of objectives or enemy loss points to win even a minor victory.

Your welcome and thank you for your kind words.

I clicked on each hex and they just said 5/15/25/50 VPs, with nothing mentioning per turn.

I think I needed to grab Tobruk, Bardia, and Sidi Barrani that would have yielded a further 100 VPs. Leaving Mersa Matruh worth 25 and Alexandri worth 50 left.

The game starts out with the Axis with 25 VPs. The matrix is:

Major Defeat: 1000
Minor Defeat: 1250
Minor Victory: 1500
Major Victory: 1750

The Allies control 125 VP and the Axis start with 25 VP on map. So the rest of the VP comes by destroying the Allies and not loosing too many Axis units.

I ended with 1084 and I think even though overall I did reasonably well, I was not as decisive, swift or bold as Rommel and perhaps that is what the Scenario Designer wanted to simulate.

I learned a lot and it was a lot of fun. 

I really hope WDS adds some more color, flavor and new scenarios to the two series and it would be great to have a 1944-1945 France version and a Russian Front 1941-45 version.

What is really missing from War on the Southern Front is a 1940-1943 Grand Campaign (GC) or a 1941-1943 GC

I don't know how to make maps or scenarios for these games but wish I did.
04-19-2022, 10:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-19-2022, 10:47 AM by Ricky B.)
You had the 25 point obj to start, as you say. And in the screen shots you can see the first few turns there were 25 more objective points each turn, which is that objective being added each turn. Later you captured more and started getting more points from objectives each turn.

In a scenario like this, capturing a couple of objectives a couple of turns earlier would have gotten a draw or win, it doesn't take much to add up quickly.

Just to put numbers to it, no idea what is possible in the battle, two twenty five point objectives 2 turns earlier would be 100 more points, while Barce worth 5 per turn would only give 20 points if it fell 4 turns earlier.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]