• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CSME unit viewer & handbook unit picture mod / JSGME friendly version
03-13-2022, 03:38 AM,
CSME unit viewer & handbook unit picture mod / JSGME friendly version
This is an update of the 3rd public release version of my Campaign Series Middle East Unit Picture mod. (referred to hereafter as “CSME UPM”). The main difference between this and the previous Version 3 is that it is now fully “JSGME” (Johnsoft Generic Mod Enabler) compatible (hence JFV = Johnsoft friendly version) and designed to be activated using JSGME.  The mod can be downloaded from the DropBox link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eduy5iq0lfq60j...V.rar?dl=0

From now on all versions of this mod will be built to work with JSGME. This mod provides pictures for platoon units that will show up in the image boxes (that by default have their nationalities, national map and flag in) in the games “Unit Handbook” and its “Unit Viewer”. This third release version provides complete picture sets for Israel, Egypt and Syria.

After unzipping, To install the mod place the folder called “CSME UPM V3JFV” in the “mods” folder in your Campaign Series Middle East main game directory and then after clicking on the JSGME icon in the main directory of the game click on “CSME UPM V3JFV” (which you should see in the left hand (Available Mods column) to select it and then click on the top of the 3 buttons with a right pointing arrow in the centre of the application to activate the mod. To deactivate the mod select it again and then click on the button below the one we just spoke about to move the mod out of the “Activated Mods” column.

In this mod for land units, where photos have not been employed I have used a “Light Yellow” ground. For Air units (including helicopters, drones etc.) a “light Sky Blue” ground has been used, again except where I have had to use black and white photographs of the equipment in question. Finally for Naval units, including all boats except where I have had to use black and white photos there is a “Dodger Blue” background with vessels shown as if they are floating on it, with the proportion of the hull normally under the water not being visible.

When choosing vehicle, aircraft and weapon images my first preference has been to use a full colour illustration of the item in question (or a colour image cut out from a colour photo) in the colours of the Nation being represented, where this is applicable (i.e. not for artillery and mortars etc. where a standard image of the weapon has usually been employed, unless there is a nation specific one available). But where this is not available to use a black and white photo image filling the entire unit portrait box has been employed.

For infantry units I have used a full colour illustration image of the troops in question but where this is not available a colour image of the main weapon used, e.g. an AK47 Assault Rifle or a PPSh-41 SMG. The exception here has been a few Israeli infantry units from the 1948 war, where black and white photos, filling the entire unit portrait box have been employed.

There is a separate document included with this mod called “Unit List” giving details of each and every unit picture that comes with it. This is in table form and gives details of the file name, the type of unit represented (and its value in strength points), along where relevant with an explanation of the item shown (such as which type of individual weapon has been used for a given infantry unit) and also a comment where I have had to use a less than ideal image. The different units appear in the table in the order they are found in the games “Unit Viewer”.

I hope you enjoy playing CSME using this mod with the addition of Egypt it should now provide complete coverage for most scenarios set on the Golan Heights and in the Sinai from 1948 to 1985. Any comments, suggestions or ideas as to where I can find better images for particular weapons, vehicles or units would be gratefully appreciated. If these could be posted in the Matrix games forum please?

In particular for the Israelis images numbers P221045, and P221046 (“Wolf 150mm Rockets” & “Wolf 200mm Rockets” respectively) these have been left blank as I have not been able to identify any images of any kind for these weapons systems, (from the research I have done I am not sure they actually existed) while for the Syrians images numbers P269003 and P269004 “Universal Carrier w/25mmAT Gun“ are stand-ins. (using a photo of a version of the vehicle sporting a British 2-lbr AT Gun) So any help here would be particularly appreciated. I am now working on Version 4 which will add the Jordanians.

Ian Leask
March 2022
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2022, 03:50 AM,
RE: CSME unit viewer & handbook unit picture mod / JSGME friendly version
This is absolutely brilliant, thank you, Ian!!
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply