• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Recon spotting
03-21-2022, 02:25 AM,
Recon spotting
It is clicked on as an optional rule. I can't make it work. I know there is stuff out there within 5 hexes of my recon unit but when I select it it only loses the movement points but spots nothing. What am I doing wrong? jonny Crazy
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2022, 05:19 AM,
RE: Recon spotting
(03-21-2022, 02:25 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: It is clicked on as an optional rule. I can't make it work. I know there is stuff out there within 5 hexes of my recon unit but when I select it it only loses the movement points but spots nothing. What am I doing wrong? jonny Crazy

It's working and you are doing nothing wrong.  They just cant always see whats out there.  I have three recon units I'm using right now in a game to spot one location and they still dont seem to catch everything each time.

manual pg 50
By selecting recon spotting, a reconnaissance unit will use one third of its movement points to attempt to reveal concealed enemy units at a range of current visibility plus one hex.
cheers
03-21-2022, 06:02 AM,
And it still has to have LOS to unspotted enemy units. So you have to move to where you have LOS to hexes you want to check, retaining one third, at least, and try to spot. But any hexes out of a direct line of sight will not be spotted, or outside of vis range.

So it won't spot out to 5 hexes unless vis is that far, etc. It isn't like patrolling where a unit can see two hexes no matter the LOS.
[Image: exercise.png]
03-21-2022, 09:17 PM,
(03-21-2022, 06:02 AM)Ricky B Wrote: And it still has to have LOS to unspotted enemy units. So you have to move to where you have LOS to hexes you want to check, retaining one third, at least, and try to spot. But any hexes out of a direct line of sight will not be spotted, or outside of vis range.

So it won't spot out to 5 hexes unless vis is that far, etc. It isn't like patrolling where a unit can see two hexes no matter the LOS.
Thanks guys! I got it figured now! jonny Big Laugh