• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New and needing some help
03-20-2022, 08:25 PM,
Help  New and needing some help
Hi Guys,

completely new to the Napoleonic Battle series, but have read most of the documents delivered with RBR version.
Still have some questions:

1. Is it correct, that to start a campaign I had to thoroughly search the game file for an exe called cp_start ??? Why is this so much hidden and doesn´t pop up, if i fire a game as an option? Have I installed the game wrong?

2. About campaign games (in RBR in that case): how are the outcomes of one battle influencing the campaign as a whole? Are losses transferred or is a campaign just a loose connection of battles with some desicions in between?

3. Since only a few scenarios are made for solo play - is it possible at all to play a whole campaign against the AI? Are there any especially solo friendly campaigns in this game (RBR) or in other games of the series? I saw that you can change AI from conservative to extreme behaviour. What does this affect? And is it enjoyable for a newbee to play a campaign against an AI? What do I have to keep in mind in that regard?

Thanks a lot in advance..
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2022, 11:36 PM,
RE: New and needing some help
Have played several Nappy campaigns and many ACW campaigns, my thoughts on your questions.

a. You must be using Explorer if you need to search for the exe files, if so I suggest you click on Type which will sort the files by Type and the exe files will be directly below the Folders, select cp-start.
b. If you use the Start-All Programs - Wargame Design Studio - Game Name you will see only the exe files, select cp-start.
c.  If you use the WDS Menu Program (this is a free download available on the WDS site and requires having all game folders installed in a single folder where you install the Menu Program) you will see a list of your games and selecting one of them will show the exe and pdf files only, cp-start shows as Campaign Game.

a. Campaigns are scripted, the next option in the campaign is often determined by the result of the previous battle.  A major victory may result in a different set of options than a draw or major defeat.
b. The next battle scenario is determined by cross referencing the player's choices of options. 
c. Unit and officer losses are carried over with some units getting some replacements based on length of time between battles.
d. The script includes a campaign outcome, depending on the way it goes the final battle will result in a victory for one side or the other or a draw.

a. Campaign scenarios generally all have some type of AI  so you can play a campaign against the AI, however the AI is not very good so don't expect it to play as well as a human opponent, I've found the AI's biggest fault is it's failure to know when to retreat to keep from being surrounded.
b. Also you can play a campaign against the AI with Use Expected Results selected.  In this case the campaign setup includes a means of determining the expected results from a scenario based on the advantage of either side if played by opponents of equal ability.  This option just runs you through a campaign without fighting the battles out.  This gives the opportunity to see what the expected results of the Strategic Options for both would be on the campaign.

Hope this helps.
03-20-2022, 11:37 PM,
1. A Campaign is started with an entirely different front end. If you don't have the WDS Front End Program,one way to get there is to open the RBR folder in Windows Explorer (it will be something like C:\WDS\RBR), sort by "file type". The .exe files will be right there for you to get at.

2. Each battle can influence the campaign in a couple ways. First off, the results (win/lose/draw) of a battle will directly impact what your battle choices are for the next battle. It all depends on the specific campaign, but there's an entire flowchart built into the campaign editor. The player doesn't really see it (unless he works on learning how to read the editor), but it's there. Also, your losses will carry over (to a point) from battle to battle. So, if The Old Guard gets mauled in the first battle, they'll be below strength for the next.

3. Absolutely. The AI isn't especially good, but you can play it, even in a scenario that says that it's mostly meant for HTH. Extreme Behavior will make it into something of a beserker. I've never tried it, so can't comment on specifics.

I'd say it is enjoyable for a newbie to play against the AI, but be careful you don't learn bad habits. Human players will punish you for it (when that time comes)
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine
03-20-2022, 11:37 PM,
(Heh, Ken and I were typing at the same time.)
Scenario Designer JTS Midway JTS Seven Years War JTS Wolfpack WDS Kriegsmarine