• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Good Starting Game
03-04-2022, 10:02 AM,
Good Starting Game
I have recently bought the older GOG CM titles.
I am particularly enjoying Barbarosa to Berlin.
Ihave even started using some Bmp mods for the game and also a sound mod.

I have also downloaded the SF2 and BS demos.
Enjoying them as well.

Wanted to buy a newer title in the series.
Prefer a WW2 theme I think.
Leaning towards Red Thunder.

Questions-

(1)Which game is most popular?

(2)Also where can I download mods for Red Thunder if I buy it?

(3)Another question ,is the Battlefront Site user friendly for purchases and downloads? Can I redownload the game again in a years time if I want to just like I can in John Tiller WDS for example?
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2022, 10:17 AM,
RE: Good Starting Game
Had another question,
This time for the earlier CM series including Barbarosa to Berlin-

(4) I noticed combat mission ,early era games use ddraw, can I maybe use a SHADER?
(By Shader I mean something like CNCdraw or Reshade) .
I tried CNCdraw and it did not seem to work ,game would not start and from memory Reshade requires Direct X not ddraw.
Has anyone used a Shader Program to enhance the visuals in these early series CM games?
03-05-2022, 06:26 AM,
(03-04-2022, 10:02 AM)Barly Wrote: (3)Another question ,is the Battlefront Site user friendly for purchases and downloads? Can I redownload the game again in a years time if I want to just like I can in John Tiller WDS for example?

I never experienced any problems doing that.  If I ever ran into a snag then the fellow who takes care of IT tickets is very helpful and prompt in response.

That said I think it is out on Steam now so that's another option
03-05-2022, 12:26 PM,
Thanks for your reply re (3).

Did not know anything about Battlefront and was wary initially.

I do like Steam, it feels safe paying them with Paypal and I like their refund policy if you don't like a game and play less than 2 hours. Only problem is Steam currently does not sell any WW2 battlefront Titles ,they are from steam forum perusal being scheduled for a staggered release over the next 1 to 6 months I think. I may wait- still thinking.
03-08-2022, 08:17 AM,
(03-04-2022, 10:02 AM)Barly Wrote: (1)Which game is most popular?
Have a look at the scenario listings here. It is not a perfect measure but its something. Beyond Normandy has the most scenarios and the most plays by a lot. It looks like Red Thunder is a little ahead of Fortress Italy.

The thing is though there are opponents to be found for all the games so pick the one that interests you the most.

(03-04-2022, 10:02 AM)Barly Wrote: (2)Also where can I download mods for Red Thunder if I buy it?

The latest mod warehouse is here: https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/

Also don't for get the scenario depot: https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
03-08-2022, 08:19 AM,
(03-05-2022, 12:26 PM)Barly Wrote: I do like Steam, it feels safe paying them with Paypal and I like their refund policy if you don't like a game and play less than 2 hours. Only problem is Steam currently does not sell any WW2 battlefront Titles ,they are from steam forum perusal being scheduled for a staggered release over the next 1 to 6 months I think. I may wait- still thinking.

Battlefront has been around for a long time. Purchasing from them is as safe as anywhere. Even if you like steam you can purchase now and get a steam key once the game releases there. So, if you want to be able to play jump in. If you have other things you are doing - like earning a living :-) then waiting is not biggee either :-)
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
03-08-2022, 11:38 AM,
Thanks for your reply.

I am leaning towards Fortress Italy with both expansions now -I think the map and unit variety may be a better combination for what I want (I like randomly generated Battles ) even though I won't have any Russian units to play with.

Re my question (4) about the earlier CM titles like Barbarossa to Berlin ,any ideas if a Shader is available?
03-09-2022, 06:03 AM,
Sorry no idea about Shaders for CM1 games - I stopped playing them once Beyond Normandy shipped. I have lots of mods but don't use shaders. I like the look of the games out of the box - just want a little more dirt.